Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crustless Quiche or a Frittata?  (Read 341 times)

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
Crustless Quiche or a Frittata?
« on: September 12, 2022, 01:38:50 AM »

This was advertised online as a crustless caramelized onion quiche. It seemed more like the frittata I recently posted about.

I'm thinking that maybe a crustless quiche is just another name for a frittata.

This was a first run through using the oven instead of the smoker. Next time we will move to the smoker.

My last frittata was made from egg whites and almond milk. It required that the egg whites be whipped a bit to provide some volume.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=7451.0

This recipe is more conventional using a mixture of whole eggs, egg whites and Greek yogurt. That gave it some rise and a nice spongy feel.

The long step was the 30 minutes to caramelize the onions. After that it was pretty easy. We added about half the spinach that the recipe called for (since that is all we had) and replaced the missing spinach with shredded zucchini.

You can put just about anything you want in these. Next time we'll add some grape tomatoes, shredded carrots and peppers.

Nonfat mozzarella was added inside. Additional mozzarella and fresh basil leaves were added on top 5 minutes before the "quiche" was done.

The quiche turned out really fluffy. It was definitely more substantial than the egg white frittata.

Smoking should give this a very nice flavor.

A key step was cooking the spinach ahead of time to eliminate a lot of the water. We did the same with the zucchini but no water came off. We did not do that with the egg white frittata which added some unwanted water to the mix.

This is an essential step.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 02:05:51 AM by Hank D Thoreau »

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Crustless Quiche or a Frittata?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 07:17:56 AM »

Looks good.  What temp did you cook at and for how long?

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 09:30:33 AM »

Looks good.  What temp did you cook at and for how long?

375 for 30 minutes. We added the cheese and basil on top at 25 minutes.

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 04:00:21 PM »

I believe I would enjoy that, but I am the only one here that would.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 02:04:11 AM »

We ran the play again, this time on the Smoker instead of the oven.

The recipe was modified, removing the caramelized onions and going with diced onions, bell peppers and mushrooms, shredded zucchini and carrots, spinach, green onions, nonfat mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil.

The base was the same: a cup of egg whites, 4 whole eggs and a cup of plain Greek yogurt.

The top was covered with thin zucchini slices, nonfat mozzarella cheese, green onions and fresh basil leaves.

It was cooked on my Daniel Boone for about an hour and 5 minutes at 375 degrees.

We are already looking at new variations including ingredients such as asparagus and artichoke.

The end product (quiche or frittata?) was fluffy and easy to serve. We used the rectangular pan instead of a pie pan which made cutting and removing easier.

The vegetables were cooked ahead to remove as much water as possible.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:08:08 AM by Hank D Thoreau »
Pages: [1]   Go Up