Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Breakfast Thread  (Read 7022 times)

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
The Breakfast Thread
« on: September 12, 2022, 02:00:43 AM »

After spending some time experimenting with new breakfast foods, I thought that I would start a breakfast thread.

There are a lot of folks that are breakfast 24 hour a day sorts. Not me, but I still like cooking for my breakfast loving wife.

So, post up your breakfast specialties. Even better if you do them on your pellet smoker.

I will start by adding links to my frittata and "quiche" threads with some pictures of the final products.

Smoked egg white frittata

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=7451.0

Crustless quiche or frittata

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=7458.0

I have done some big breakfast cooks. I just don't have pictures to show it.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 04:09:29 AM by Hank D Thoreau »

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Re: The Breakfast Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 10:02:49 AM »

Our breakfast for most days of the week consist of steel oats oatmeal with cranraisins, cinnamons and honey.  On weekends it is either buttermilk blueberry pancakes or yeasted Belgium waffles both with Vermont maple syrup.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 03:59:25 PM »

I don't believe I have ever had steel cut oats. What is different and cook difference between them and regular oats, not the quick cook ones.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 05:41:26 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 09:43:03 PM »

I don't believe I have ever had steel cut oats. What is different and cook difference between them and regular oats, not the quick cook ones.

Steel cut has more texture then regular oats, regular oats can kind of remind you of paste with the texture, where you still have some soft and creamy experience with steel cut, but also need to chew them. Cook wise you have to watch them because they love to boil over and they need to cook a lot longer. Thankfully I have a fuzzy logic rice cooker and just make steel cut oats in there so I don't have to worry about it. Interesting enough people used to not really like oats because the only option was steel cut and they are more time consuming to prepare and the like, and it wasn't until 1900 that the process for rolled oats as we know them came to be.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 01:31:09 PM »

One of my favorites is a breakfast Quesadilla. Easy and quick. :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

elenis

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2022, 02:05:49 PM »

I like to make a lot of breakfast burritos. We have ducks so we have lots of eggs and I toss a little cheese in there and some hot sauce, when I feel fancy and have time I add a breakfast meat as well. It is fun on weekends to use the blackstone to make a full breakfast quickly with hash browns and all since that is such a slow process in the house. My kids prefer the sweet stuff like pancakes and the like, but I am looking for protein in the morning. Absolute favorite is biscuits and sausage gravy, but my wife usually only does that for my birthday and she missed it this year so here is hoping for next year.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2022, 04:32:49 PM »

I had a ham and cheese quesadilla for breakfast this morning.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 04:53:45 PM »

I had a ham and cheese quesadilla for breakfast this morning.

I quite often have tacos for breakfast. Quesadillas are very good as well. They are also very easy to make.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 08:15:24 AM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

urnmor

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2022, 08:38:31 AM »

There are IMO two major differences first is the processing and the second is cooking time.  Steel cut oats are less processed then the rolled oats.  Some would say that makes them healthier.  They do take longer to cook.  Before I got the rice maker it took me thirty minutes to prepare.  I had to bring to a boil stir and then simmer to the most of the water was absorbed.  I used a half cup of steel cut oats to two cups of water.  I served with cinnamon honey and cran raisins.  Today I use our rice cooker.  I add the oats and water  set it at night for 8AM and that is it.  I will say the texture is totally different from cooking on the stove, however my Wife likes it better so this is our go to breakfast. 

I really can’t comment on the rolled oats as I only use them in cooking

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2022, 08:30:02 PM »

I am a huge fan of breakfast at any time.  I will have to try and take some photos.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 01:10:54 PM »

I whip out a lot of omelets. This is an egg white omelet with one whole egg added. Inside is queso quesadilla cheese, diced onion and red pepper, along with fresh basil, marjoram, salt and pepper.

The top is garnished with thinly sliced zucchini, green onions, fresh basil and a bit more queso quesadilla cheese.

I folded it so a bit of the inside is visible.

This is an excellent and hearty high protein, low calorie breakfast.

I am cooking another quiche on my smoker today. I realize while doing so that I forgot the spinach in the omelet.

It was still good.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:25:25 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 02:07:09 AM »

Another smoked quiche or frittata. Got to keep coming up with new healthy low calorie, high protein breakfast options.

Notice the lack of bacon and butter.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:22:56 AM by Hank D Thoreau »

elenis

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 11:16:12 PM »

Have you ever considered making Egg Bhurji (essentially indian spiced scrambled eggs) or Shakshuka (Israeli egg dish)? We have ducks for eggs so during the warmer weather we end up eating lots and lots of eggs and I get really tired of eating them in a breakfast form for breakfast as well as dinner. Looking to other culture's spice mixtures and what not has given me a chance to enjoy many egg dishes when I was very tired of eating eggs.
Mak 2 Star General #1799
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up