Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Breakfast Thread  (Read 7023 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: The Breakfast Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2022, 09:36:12 AM »

When we lived in Texas, we would go the Cabela's and they had a Pecan Maple syrup you could buy.
It was so good.
Cabela's here is a small place and doesn't have it.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2022, 03:15:32 PM »

Were they a regular pancake recipe with pecans added or is there such a thing as pecan flour?

It was a pancake flour mix that I bought at World Market while buying some Ras El Hanout for Mediterranean and African stews.

The mix was called My Favorite Pancake and Waffle Mix Southern Pecan.

It is a blend of brown sugar, cinnamon and bits of pecan. It had a nice mild pecan flavor.

I could have gone for a stronger pecan flavor since I eat pancakes plain, like bread.

I bought the mix as a test for the griddle. I would definitely buy this mix again.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2023, 11:55:09 PM »

This is a new addition to our breakfast arsenal. These egg cups are light and fluffy, and very customizable. We have discussed having a build your own breakfast day.

We could not find a cupcake pan so we used a mini-Bundt cake pan, which I think was better. This allowed the eggs to cook from the inside as well.

The best part is that it is very repeatable. 30 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees and it is done perfectly, every time so far.

You can put just about anything in them. So far, we have done vegetarian with feta cheese and a meat version.

Vegetarian: diced onions, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, tomato, spinach and crumbled feta cheese.

Meat: diced sausage, onion, potato, spinach, and grated queso quesadilla cheese.

The eggs are prepared using various spices and chives, along with a little bit of almond milk. Chervil is the secret ingredient in the vegetarian version.

Each little egg Bundt has 2 eggs. We didn't plan it that way. That is just the way it turned out.

Next up is Italian sausage. We have the sausage cooked and ready to go, but we want to get some mozzarella cheese.

Here are some pictures starting with the egg mixture.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 01:44:09 AM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2023, 11:58:53 PM »

After liberally greasing the pan with olive oil, the ingredients are place on the bottom and it is cooked for 30 minutes. This can also be done in the smoker.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2023, 12:00:25 AM »

Here's what they look like when they are popped out of the pan.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2023, 12:01:42 AM »

This is the finished sausage and potato version.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 12:03:35 AM by Hank D Thoreau »

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2023, 10:11:15 AM »

Looks like a little time consuming, but I bet they taste great. 
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

dk117

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2023, 12:33:26 PM »

time consuming ... not sure about that, about as complex as an omelet, but done in bulk you can have 24 of these little guys done in 45 mins.  They store well in the fridge. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 03:41:25 PM by dk117 »
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2023, 03:23:08 PM »

Looks like a little time consuming, but I bet they taste great. 

These are very easy to make. As mentioned by dk117, they are just like prepping for an omelet and you can make them in bulk and refrigerate them.

I start the oven pre-heating while I prep. Then it is 30 minutes in the oven and they are done.

I usually prep a extra vegetables and keep them in the refrigerator. That reduces the prep time to just seasoning the eggs.

Also, you can refrigerate or freeze these.

These are much easier than the frittatas and quiches I have done in my smoker. They cook up much more evenly. You don't have to overcook the outer edges to ensure the inside is done.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 03:26:44 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2023, 04:29:17 PM »

So just for my clarification, you put the filling, sausage,vegetables and cheese in the pan then pour the egg mix over the top?

They look pretty good, I have made microwave versions but I just put everything in with the eggs and then in the silicone mold before cooking.

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2023, 09:32:47 PM »

So just for my clarification, you put the filling, sausage,vegetables and cheese in the pan then pour the egg mix over the top?

They look pretty good, I have made microwave versions but I just put everything in with the eggs and then in the silicone mold before cooking.

Yes, the filling is put on the bottom of the pan with the egg poured on top. The filling will disperse through the egg while it cooks.

I think if you mix it in with the egg you will find more making the way to the top before the egg solidifies enough to freeze the filling in place.

Much of what you see on top of mine are the spices and chives which are mixed with the eggs. They tend to float.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:34:19 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2023, 03:44:17 PM »

This is a Mediterranean version of the egg cups. These include artichoke, black olives, onions, tomatoes, spinach and feta cheese, along with herbs and spices.

I was wondering if the oil in the artichoke would be an issue but the eggs turned out as light and fluffy as usual.

They cooked up just like all the rest. 30 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees with no testing required.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2023, 04:35:16 PM »

Nice!

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2023, 01:41:08 PM »

I make a similar dish called egg bites. I cook them in an instant pot using a silicon mold set on a trivet. I've also done them sous vide in lightly greased canning jars with lid on.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 04:12:24 PM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2023, 05:10:07 PM »

I make a similar dish called egg bites. I cook them in an instant pot using a silicon mold set on a trivet. I've also done them sous vide in lightly greased canning jars with lid on.

That sounds interesting. I would be interested in seeing pictures the next time you do it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up