Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Breakfast Thread  (Read 7028 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: The Breakfast Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2023, 10:04:31 AM »

That looks great. I would eat those. What if you took just a tablespoon or so of the egg and mixed it in with the crab mixture before putting in the pans?

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2023, 12:05:55 PM »

That looks great. I would eat those. What if you took just a tablespoon or so of the egg and mixed it in with the crab mixture before putting in the pans?

It's really not necessary. What makes this work is that the eggs permeate the mixings when you poor them in the mode. The mixings will start to migrate, but some will be captured as the eggs harden. Some will manage to get to the top.

This is what gives the even distribution throughout the egg cup.

The problem that I had was mixing herbs in the egg mixture and putting the herbs on top of the mixings. The herbs would float to the top before the eggs started to harden.

You can see this in some of my earlier posts where you have dark herbs on top.

Mixing the spices and herbs in with the mixings fixed the problem. I get a good even distribution throughout the egg cups.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 12:08:36 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2023, 10:40:32 PM »

I thought I would close the loop on canned crabmeat. We ended up using four different grades. I don't remember the cost of the first but it was mush and I would not use it again.

The others were:

Chicken of the Sea White Crabmeat at $4.99 per can. This was still pretty pasty.

Crown Prince Wild Fancy White Crabmeat at $5.99 per can. This was actually starting to look a bit like shredded crab.

Bumble Bee Lump Crabmeat at $7.99 per can. Finally, actual chunks of crab. This was by far the best, though the Fancy White was still suitable.

I am including the finished egg cups using the lump crabmeat.

[ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 11:29:45 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2023, 10:45:11 PM »

Here are some pictures of the final egg cups using the highest quality crab.

As before, these were made in a bundt pan. The crab was nicely distributed throughout the egg cups.

In the first picture below there are artichoke and olive on the right and crab on the left. I ended up taking the three piles of crab and turning them into two egg cups.

That's why I have five in the picture: three artichoke and two crab.

Next on the list is to make an Egg Bhurji version using dried curry leaves. See reply #22 in this thread for a traditional Egg Bhurji scramble.

[ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:58:51 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2023, 11:27:08 PM »

This is a classic Northern Mexican breakfast dish, and as an added bonus, it is not an egg cup.

I have made faux machaca and eggs using smoked and shredded beef chuck. While it is very good, the smoke flavor changes the nature of Mexican food.

I decided that I would make the traditional Northern Mexican dish using authentic dried beef machaca. We were able to find packages of machaca at our local Mexican market, though it took a bit of help from a couple of store employees to find it.

While the machaca is pretty pricey at $8.99 for a 3.5-ounce package, it goes really far. We used about a 1/3 a cup in our machaca and egg recipe for one. We still have most of the package left.

Machaca is dried beef, much like beef jerky, that is shredded. It rehydrates when cooked in oil. It can be used in any way that you would use beef in a Mexican dish.

There are recipes for machaca dishes that use undried spiced and shredded beef chuck. I will probably dedicate one of my chucks for trying out one of these recipes.

We used diced green, red and orange bell peppers, diced onions, diced heirloom tomato from our garden, half a peeled jalapeno pepper, machaca, two eggs, garlic and cumin.

It turned out great, tasting more like a what you may find at a good Mexican restaurant.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2023, 08:38:58 AM »

That looks good, kind of like some of my omelets turn out, as a scramble.

The machaca, is it similar to the dried beef her in the US, the stuff that used to be in the small jars, only this is shredded?

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2023, 05:34:24 PM »

That looks good, kind of like some of my omelets turn out, as a scramble.

The machaca, is it similar to the dried beef her in the US, the stuff that used to be in the small jars, only this is shredded?

I'm not sure, but I think not. Dried beef in a jar is ground, formed, sliced in circles and stacked in the jar. It may not shred. Machaca is more like beef jerky.

We had a lot of jarred dried beef at my house growing up. A lot of our drinking glasses were dried beef jars, along with grape jelly jars.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 05:42:51 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2023, 08:16:01 PM »

I always thought Machaca was dried meat that was usually reconstituted and shredded, usually Beef but also Pork.  I used to have a Pork Machaca breakfast burrito at Robertito's Taco shop in Fresno!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2023, 11:42:47 PM »

I always thought Machaca was dried meat that was usually reconstituted and shredded, usually Beef but also Pork.  I used to have a Pork Machaca breakfast burrito at Robertito's Taco shop in Fresno!

You can make it out of either beef or pork. It is dried and shredded and reconstitutes when cooked in oil. You can put it in anything but machaca and eggs is pretty common. It is my wife's favorite Mexican food dish.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up