Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trial of 4 hr @ 275* for Spareribs Today  (Read 1136 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Trial of 4 hr @ 275* for Spareribs Today
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2022, 08:16:13 PM »

I’m paying close attention to this thread because it’s getting more and more difficult for me to have the time to attend to the pit.  I have a new pit coming in about a month and this may be my first serious cook on it.  My first cook, not serious, will be a butt.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 08:19:14 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2022, 09:00:16 PM »

Will do.  Thanks.

okie smokie

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2022, 08:02:28 AM »

What pit did you order?

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2022, 03:23:09 PM »

Yes what he said above.

How many of the ones you have listed do you still have or use?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2022, 11:04:41 AM »

The pit that’s on order is the M Grills, M36.  Delivery is about a month out.

EDIT:  This will be the seventh (if I counted correctly) but it’ll replace the Masterbuilt Gravity Smoker and the Weber Kettle.

EDIT 2:  I don’t use some of them very often but I hate to sell them.  The Karubque C-60 is rarely used because the fire needs attention every 20 minutes or so, but I produce the best results with it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 11:14:35 AM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2022, 10:36:13 PM »

I am fortunate. I only have to decide what I am going to cook. You have to do that and then decide which horse from your stable to use.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2022, 10:47:03 PM »

I bought 2 racks of STL and 3 racks of BB today.  Going to make them tomorrow or Sunday.  May do a rack without a rub or half rack and then caribbean jerk and mango habanero sauce at the end.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 11:45:30 AM »

We had a great family gathering of 12 with 4 racks of St. Louis ribs on the 1070. Turned out great and all ribs were either eaten or taken home. Along with baked beans, creamed spinach, salad, shrimp cocktail, cheese platter, focaccia bread, mac and cheese, and Tres Leche cake for dessert. Of course two good wines helped.
One rack of just SP seen at bottom of cutting board, the rest were rubbed with Meat Church Honey. SP were a hit and disappeared. The Sam's beef, cheddar, and jalopena sausages were there just in case but not needed.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:55:46 AM by okie smokie »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 11:59:43 AM »

They look great.  Did you use the 275° method?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

okie smokie

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2022, 12:24:27 PM »

They look great.  Did you use the 275° method?
Was going to until I noted the variation in size and thickness of the racks. I did at 225* for 4 hrs, then wrapped for 1 hr at 275*, then painted and naked for 30-45 minutes. Spritzed with ACV during the 4th hour.  All worked out well, and I was able to pull two racks sooner when it appeared that they were done. ( during the wrap period I pulled them at 30 minutes of wrap and then painted and naked for 30 min).  I will still do the 4hr/275* for personal use, until I am more experienced and confident. I put all the done racks in a large foil pan and covered with foil and in oven on warm, for 30-45 minutes before dinner. Maybe next time (if there is one). Sorry if I disappointed. :-[

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 01:52:00 PM »

No concerns from me.  You do what is best for you.  I was just curious.  Now, you may have options on methods to cook depending on your circumstances.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2022, 05:27:30 PM »

I did a rack of very meaty baby backs on Saturday, I used my pepper, salt, garlic, onion, chili powder concoction on them. They were in for 5 hours at 235 I checked them and sauced 3/4 of them about 30 minutes before I took them off. They turned out very good, clean bone with chew to the meat. Not sure which way I liked better with or with out sauce. I used sauce we make. They went great with fresh corn on the cob and the GF wanted french fries so I was lucky there were frozen crinkle cuts in the freezer, I pulled out the little butane stove and heated the oil. her and her mother were very happy and full.

okie smokie

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2022, 12:21:05 AM »

Today I did a 4 hr at 275* for a 3.75 lb St. Louis rack of spares. This rack was a little larger than my usual St. Louis cooks and some of the riblets were still attached on the shorter ribs. I prepped with mustard, then Meat Church Honey Rub. Previousy I confirmed that the 1070 with Offset at +7 gave almost precise temps at both 225* and 275* and that doing St.Louis spare for 4 hrs at 275* without wrap or sprits results in drier ribs than we like.  So I modified by spritzing with ACV/H2O at 2hrs and 2.5 hrs. Then at 3 hrs. wrapped in foil with just ACV/H2O about 2 oz and meat side down and back in at 275* for 45 minutes. Then painted them and back in smoker naked for about 20 minutes. So altogether, the cook was 4 hrs 5 minutes . They were as near perfect as I have done at any temp and pulled off the bone with ease.  Only pics I took follows:
1. Smoker at 275* smoked well almost the entire cook. 
2. Prepped and ready to go into 1070
3. Painted and pulled, ready to cut. Had nice smoke ring.

While wrapping takes more effort, I streamlined the effort by eliminating the brown sugar, honey, butter, Tiger sauce and just added a little moisture in the foil. The end product did not disappoint, as they were moist and tender with a nice bark. I think that either this way or salt and pepper will do it for us.
After much testing I finally disagree with RT that the factory setting of Offset at 0 provides overall correct temps that match the set temp. I have tested mainly at 225* and 275* multiple probes and in as many as 18 positions (9 on upper and 9 on lower grates) and took many hours to do so. And the results when retested, were reproducible.  Those are the only temps I am concerned about for low/slow accuracy. Also, have confirmed that on "full" I can reach 700*. I think RT is the only control that can be adjusted by the consumer for accuracy. ?? When I had the 590, it was adjusted to +6 on Offset and was really accurate as well. Why RT provides this adjustability, makes a video on how to make the adjustment and then advises not to use it is beyond me..

okie smokie

Re: Trial of 4 hr @ 275* for Spareribs Today; follow up.
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2022, 07:26:59 PM »

Forgot to say I also used a pan of water in the back right hand corner of the pit during the time the ribs were unwrapped. I note Franklin seems to always do so. I think it helps keep the moisture in the ribs. Perhaps spritzing just cools the meat down and slows the cook?  Will just use water pan instead of spritzing next time.(less open lid time). Anyhow, we had left over ribs and mac n cheese tonight and they were great.  Now we are really having fun!

okie smokie

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2022, 07:37:43 PM »

I had a rack of BB's in the freezer, and decided to do the Fast Eddie style. Brown sugar on both sides and overnight. Then Meat Church, Honey Rub with a little Heat added about 1/2 hour before starting them up on the grill at 275* for 3 hrs.  No peaking, as I was repairing one of my old Trane furnaces. Finally looked in on them at 2 3/4 hrs and they looked great. Temp was 195* on average. So I painted them on top only with my final supply of Spicy Razz (a thick fruit based recipe that my son's old group used to  make and market locally.). Put them back on naked for another 30 min. Total time 3hrs 15 minutes for some of the best ribs we have made. Easy and done.  Juicy, easy pull off the bone.No pics nec.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up