Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crustless Quiche or a Frittata? Updated with new smoked quiche.  (Read 286 times)

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
Crustless Quiche or a Frittata? Updated with new smoked quiche.
« on: September 18, 2022, 02:11:22 AM »

I added a smoked quiche to my quiche/frittata thread. I wanted to keep it in one thread so I am adding this post temporarily (which can be deleted in the future) to let folks know that the new cook was added.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=7458.msg78778#msg78778

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Crustless Quiche or a Frittata? Updated with new smoked quiche.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 01:53:12 PM »

I made this yesterday morning for my house guest. I used carnalized onions, spinach, and zucchini. I cooked it on the Traeger set to 350°. It cooked for a little under 1 hour, IT was 180° when removed from smoker. Everyone liked it, but it was a little too healthy for me. IMO it would have benefited from a little protein, bacon, sausage, or ham. It did not have much of a smoke flavor. I did not have foil pan so I used a regular quiche dish, the four of us ate it all.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 10:53:38 PM »

I made this yesterday morning for my house guest. I used carnalized onions, spinach, and zucchini. I cooked it on the Traeger set to 350°. It cooked for a little under 1 hour, IT was 180° when removed from smoker. Everyone liked it, but it was a little too healthy for me. IMO it would have benefited from a little protein, bacon, sausage, or ham. It did not have much of a smoke flavor. I did not have foil pan so I used a regular quiche dish, the four of us ate it all.

I'm not sure what the best meat would be for this. Maybe crumbled sausage or bacon. Keep in mind that protein is not a problem. Egg whites are one of the best sources of protein with no fat. I think it is 8 gr per egg.

This particular recipe is for my wife's weight watcher diet otherwise, I would add some meat.

For some reason we notice the smoke flavor when we reheat the next day. Not sure why.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:55:58 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 12:37:58 PM »

I would think an apple/cinnamon chicken sausage would go nicely in this.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 01:35:46 PM »

For some reason we notice the smoke flavor when we reheat the next day. Not sure why.

Since we ate it all, we'll never know. Maybe next time.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Hank D Thoreau

• Civil but disobedient
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 03:42:33 PM »

I would think an apple/cinnamon chicken sausage would go nicely in this.

That's a good thought. It would be consistent with the healthy nature of the dish.'

We plan to do at least one of these a week. Some sort of poultry bacon or sausage would add a bit of variety while keeping the calorie count down.

My wife took the leftovers to be tasted by a couple of chefs we know. The crustless quiche got a double thumbs up. Only comment was it needed more salt.

I salt very little since I cut back on salt for blood pressure. When you eat less salt, you need less to get the same effect.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 05:39:16 PM by Hank D Thoreau »
Pages: [1]   Go Up