Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by heffneil on 21 Sep 2022
  • So I've been running more cooks lately and I am a bit worried about the age of my FEC120 and the reliability.

I noticed that the auger is making a pretty rough noise.  Its all working and I looked up and couldn't believe it but the unit is from 2013 (I bought it from Larry from the old site!)! 

I don't know if there's an oil point on those auger systems or how long they are meant to last.  It survived a good move from my new place so that's good.  I let the pellets work their way down the other day for the latest long cook.  Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on wear points to check out it would be appreciated!
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Sep 2022
  • I don't know how to check it, but it may be out of level in the auger tube.  I think I have that issue on my Traeger where one of the augers makes a clunking noise even without pellets in the tube.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 22 Sep 2022

•  I wouldn't think there is a lubrication point.

The auger system is rather simple. The motor/gear assembly rotates tha auger.  I would start by emptying all of the pellets, then try rotating the auger forwards & backwards listening for the sound you are

hearing. It shouldn't be as loud but the same. If the sound is present it is most likely the connection - motor to auger.  If none of this proves out, start the pit concentrating on listening to the auger motor.

if the sound appears it is most likely the motor gearing. In that case the motor assembly should be run independently from the auger & checked again for noise.

Before you do any of this you may want to contact Cookshack with the S/N in case they need it, and ask about this issue.
  • #4 by txcrazy on 22 Sep 2022
  • I somehow bent the auger on my PG1000.  I could easily see it with the covers off as it was spinning.  I kept hearing it load up and then make a popping sound.  Took the auger out, put it in a vise and bent it back straight.  No issues since. 

My guess is if you made a video with sound the guys at Cookshack could give you some good ideas quickly.

Good luck. 
Pages:
Actions