Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Canadian John on 12 Oct 2022
  • My PG1000 is pushing 11 years old.  It recently started tripping the GFCI.  Conventional wisdom suggests that moisture got into/around the igniter and plugging into a non GFCI outlet should allow the igniter to heat up without tripping the GFCI.  After that, any moisture that was present should dry out and you should be good to go.

In my case, I could heat to 500 degrees for several minutes, shut down and try again after no moisture could have survived in the pot and still end up with the GFCI tripping next time.

Since I have no problem with the igniter w/o GFCI, I am thinking that the igniter has deteriorated to a point where it still works, but it has just enough funky resistance building within the igniter or cable up to where the GFCI thinks it’s time to shut down.

Another Welcome to the Form, from Canada.

This FEC 100 Igniter Video may help with your igniter swap. It's all I could find. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4RyuRtI2jY

As far as the original igniter goes, there must be a permanent path to ground that isn't dampness bleeding a small amount of electricity, enough to trip the GFCI yet not enough to blow a fuse or cause the pit to go hot.  I agree. It's time for a replacement.

I just received a new igniter from CS.  Next, I need to clean enough surfaces to be able to see how I might remove the pot and igniter.  Surprised that CS doesn’t have a video to cover the replacement process.
  • #17 by Osborn Cox on 13 Oct 2022
  • I had to replace mine a couple of years ago, and while I can’t remember the exact procedure it was fairly straightforward, the one thing I do remember was having to remove the pellet chute to get the fire pot out.
  • #18 by bborzell on 29 Oct 2022
  • Well, the igniter came and I replaced the old one.  Had to use a larger screw into the burn pot as the threaded hole was kinda tired after 11 years.

No particular hangups in threading the new wire through to the harness.  Best part of the swap is no more GFCI trips.👍
  • #19 by 02ebz06 on 29 Oct 2022
  • Glad that solved the problem.
Pages:
Actions