Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > FEC/Cookshack

Pg 1000 igniter

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bar-B-Lew:
Thanks, John.  I know nothing about electrical which is why I rely on people more knowledgeable about it like you and others on here.

I do agree there is something go on other than a bad batch of ignitors from Cookshack.

Can't wait to hear what the original poster informs us ultimately is the solution so that others can learn from him.

okie smokie:
Is the rod supposed to sit in a triangle of ceramic insulation rods? If not centered, they could be shorting to chassis. Or is that possible? Also, if you over tighten the bolt that holds the rod in place, it can damage it also. (Disclaimer: I am not whiz at electronics, so may be all wet!). John, you probably can correct me on this.

txcrazy:
It could POSSIBLY be related to a bad temp sensor.  I know the ignite circuit checks the temp before it begins an ignition cycle (that's why you can do a relite after a flame out by placing a wet paper towel on the sensor) and looks for a cold state.  I do not know what turns off the cycle.  If its temp then that's a candidate.  Cookshack should know.

Mine went out after 6 years.  I have a new one but honestly I never hooked it up because it's so much faster to glow 4 pellets red with a torch and then hit the start.  You will be roaring in no time and I enjoy the faster start-up time.

pmillen:

--- Quote from: txcrazy on September 24, 2022, 04:52:13 PM ---t's so much faster to glow 4 pellets red with a torch and then hit the start.  You will be roaring in no time and I enjoy the faster start-up time.

--- End quote ---

That's my method with a palmful of pellets, even with a working igniter.

Larry67505:
Just to clarify. Everything has been replaced , control board, temp sensor, combustion fan, auger motor, all within the last year. Chookshack tells me it’s not their products that are faulty. In earlier control boards the igniter came on and stayed on until the temp passed 140. They tell me on the new control board it stays on for 5 minutes. The wiring has all been checked by a competent electronics person. Cookshack is decent in communication but I can’t keep buying igniters. I know many years ago green mountain got a batch of bad igniters that caused them a bunch of grief..

I’m just wanting to try a different brand of igniter. Not badmouthing anyone or anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Mobile View