Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by atlasx2001 on 29 Sep 2022
  • There are a few threads here on this topic and I read through a bunch of them but still find myself wonder what I should get.

Currently I have GMG that is getting near its life cycle.  At the time, it was at the higher end of my budget and was better that Traeger for controls.    It did great over the years with a few repairs of the electronics and auger (storm blew my cover off and filled got all those pellets soaking wet and then solid in the auger).

Now I got a bigger budget and am really debating if it is worth the extra dollars.    I could get a CampChef that seems to be rated really well.   I do not really need the side burner as I also have a propane grill.    Or I could make an upgrade to a Yoder or Rectec...something in that class.   

I have never tried BBQ off one of the premium brands so not sure exactly what I will get out of any of them except build quality (thicker steel or SS).   For smoking, its usually baby back ribs or chicken for me.   

Thoughts and opinions very welcome.   Just not sure it worth 2-3K for something "better".

• #2 by 02ebz06 on 29 Sep 2022
  • If you were happy with the GMG, why not just get another one ?
  • #3 by Fire708 on 29 Sep 2022
  • Mad scientist BBQ on you tube has a pretty good review on the camp chef woodwind. He does a Brisket on one and a Pitts & Spitts to compare.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 29 Sep 2022
  • I am happy with the RT products and think that the 590, 700 or 1070 are good value for the money.  Currently have the 1070, all stainless, well built and has RT's reliable control. Also, the new WiFi is both 5.0 and 2.4 MHz and stays on wifi very well.  It also has a high temp of 700* which I have confirmed, so with GrillGrates to sear with, no direct flame is needed. In fact I sear very well with the temp set to 500*. Also, the best customer service I've seen. The 590 and 700 are also great machines for the money. Also, the best warranties IMO. Good luck to you.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 29 Sep 2022
  • I don't own one but if I were looking to buy today and looking at not wanting to drop 1500+ on something. Grilla would be my choice I believe. I think their Alpha controller would be an excellent thing for those wanting smoke flavor and consistent temps. They have a nice sale going on right now also.
    I have a GMG and a vertical Pit Boss, both have done me very well. I did swap the PB controller though for a Pellet Pro one.
  • #6 by urnmor on 30 Sep 2022
  • I have had my MAK 2 Stars for many years and it is still going strong.  The best customer service around
  • #7 by atlasx2001 on 30 Sep 2022
  • Mad scientist BBQ on you tube has a pretty good review on the camp chef woodwind. He does a Brisket on one and a Pitts & Spitts to compare.

Yeah, I saw that video.   It's part of the reason I am considering that model.   
  • #8 by atlasx2001 on 30 Sep 2022
  • If you were happy with the GMG, why not just get another one ?
       I could stay with GMG but wanted to see what else is out there that would be better.   One feature of the Camp Chef is an easier clean out and pellet swap.  I also like the idea of smoke level but I know I would just leave it on high all the time as I like that flavor.
  • #9 by atlasx2001 on 30 Sep 2022
  • I am happy with the RT products and think that the 590, 700 or 1070 are good value for the money.  Currently have the 1070, all stainless, well built and has RT's reliable control. Also, the new WiFi is both 5.0 and 2.4 MHz and stays on wifi very well.  It also has a high temp of 700* which I have confirmed, so with GrillGrates to sear with, no direct flame is needed. In fact I sear very well with the temp set to 500*. Also, the best customer service I've seen. The 590 and 700 are also great machines for the money. Also, the best warranties IMO. Good luck to you.

Awesome.  Thanks for the review and details.  The GMG actually got pretty high...think 500 but I never really needed that.    RT is definitely something on my list.   
  • #10 by pmillen on 30 Sep 2022
  • I think you’re choices and the the responses here have you on the right track.  I recently saw a Camp Chef (I think) video with a wood chip drawer that augments the smoke output.  I think it would be my choice if I were buying now.
  • #11 by glitchy on 30 Sep 2022
  • I won’t say how many pellet grills I’ve gone through other than you can’t count them using the fingers on both hands :-[ I’ve liked most of them and usually upgraded looking either for more capacity or chasing the pellet unicorn that can both smoke and sear with excellence (and not have a bunch of other compromise). My experiences with CampChef make it my first recommendation for someone wanting an affordable pellet grill.

If budget allows, having owned a MAK and a Memphis and also playing with Pitts and Spitts, Yoder, and Cookshack models at a dedicated BBQ store, there is no comparison in construction quality between those and all the import pellet grills I’ve had and seen. As well, the MAK and Weber Smokefire have both imparted a much stronger smoke profile and handle high heat grilling better than anything else I’ve owned. My Woodwind on smoke level 10, was still in the minor leagues in comparison.
  • #12 by atlasx2001 on 30 Sep 2022
  • If budget allows, having owned a MAK and a Memphis and also playing with Pitts and Spitts, Yoder, and Cookshack models at a dedicated BBQ store, there is no comparison in construction quality between those and all the import pellet grills I’ve had and seen. As well, the MAK and Weber Smokefire have both imparted a much stronger smoke profile and handle high heat grilling better than anything else I’ve owned. My Woodwind on smoke level 10, was still in the minor leagues in comparison.

Glad to say, that I now have the budget.   This was exactly what I was trying to understand around smoke differences and value in getting something that costs more.  Higher price does not always mean better.   It looks like it does.   

Thanks!
  • #13 by Bentley on 01 Oct 2022
  • Glad Madscientist did his review...cuz I guess my review of the wood wind sucked.
  • #14 by reubenray on 02 Oct 2022
  • I have been very happy with my SmokinBrothers pellet smoker.  They are made in Missouri.
  • #15 by atlasx2001 on 02 Oct 2022
  • Glad Madscientist did his review...cuz I guess my review of the wood wind sucked.

Got a link to yours?    As for the Madscientist, I do like his reviews but really just says it is good.   Where I am and I believe other that are looking for their next pellet grill is helping to figure out why pick a specific one over another.   

With some research and some input here, I came to the conclusion that there are some gains in the higher end.  Build quality and materials used improve.   I do also believe that USA build vs. China build does make a difference.  Honestly, it should not as they are just metal parts but it seems to matter.   Even my GMG has bigger gaps on one side of the lid than the other (fixed with some seals). 

Anyway, I will make the upgrade in the Spring so have some time to keep researching.

Pages:
Actions