Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Which Pit Should I Choose?

Would like input on a new pellet smoker.

(1/4) > >>

atlasx2001:
There are a few threads here on this topic and I read through a bunch of them but still find myself wonder what I should get.

Currently I have GMG that is getting near its life cycle.  At the time, it was at the higher end of my budget and was better that Traeger for controls.    It did great over the years with a few repairs of the electronics and auger (storm blew my cover off and filled got all those pellets soaking wet and then solid in the auger).

Now I got a bigger budget and am really debating if it is worth the extra dollars.    I could get a CampChef that seems to be rated really well.   I do not really need the side burner as I also have a propane grill.    Or I could make an upgrade to a Yoder or Rectec...something in that class.   

I have never tried BBQ off one of the premium brands so not sure exactly what I will get out of any of them except build quality (thicker steel or SS).   For smoking, its usually baby back ribs or chicken for me.   

Thoughts and opinions very welcome.   Just not sure it worth 2-3K for something "better".

02ebz06:
If you were happy with the GMG, why not just get another one ?

Fire708:
Mad scientist BBQ on you tube has a pretty good review on the camp chef woodwind. He does a Brisket on one and a Pitts & Spitts to compare.

okie smokie:
I am happy with the RT products and think that the 590, 700 or 1070 are good value for the money.  Currently have the 1070, all stainless, well built and has RT's reliable control. Also, the new WiFi is both 5.0 and 2.4 MHz and stays on wifi very well.  It also has a high temp of 700* which I have confirmed, so with GrillGrates to sear with, no direct flame is needed. In fact I sear very well with the temp set to 500*. Also, the best customer service I've seen. The 590 and 700 are also great machines for the money. Also, the best warranties IMO. Good luck to you.

BigDave83:
I don't own one but if I were looking to buy today and looking at not wanting to drop 1500+ on something. Grilla would be my choice I believe. I think their Alpha controller would be an excellent thing for those wanting smoke flavor and consistent temps. They have a nice sale going on right now also.
I have a GMG and a vertical Pit Boss, both have done me very well. I did swap the PB controller though for a Pellet Pro one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View