Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ylr on 26 Oct 2022
  • I had a tradition of stopping by the local IGA deli on the way home after my last night of work to get a double order of biscuits and gravy. It used to be a great deal at $2, but in the past year, they have raised the price to $5!  ??? The tightwad in me said nope!

Anyway, I have decided to make my own gravy and freeze it in individual portions, so I can make my own when I want to. How well does frozen sausage gravy keep in the freezer, and aside from making sure most of the air gets out of the freezer bag, are there any tricks in freezing gravy?
  • #2 by Bentley on 26 Oct 2022
  • Not even sure the air matters.  Depending on how long you want to store it, and if you have vac sealer.  Just bag, freeze and seal!  even just in zip locks you should get months with no freezer burn!
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 27 Oct 2022
  • I agree, I would just vac seal, I have a chamber sealer I use most of the time but, Like Bentley has said freeze and then seal. Then just pop it in some boiling water to reheat. I would thing freezer bags would work also to boil to heat.

Growing up Woman used to buy some thing that were little sealed packs with the round Budig type slices of meat in gravy, then you just tossed them in a pot of boiling water. I am sure there were more flavors but I only remember chicken and turkey. Probably 5 or 6 thin slices of meat.

Have not had sausage gravy in a long time. It may be something that shows up for a Sunday morning breakfast soon.

She used to make the SOS but instead of using dried beef she used the cheaper chipped chopped ham, in a milk gravy.
  • #4 by ylr on 27 Oct 2022
  • I don't have a vac sealer, so that's a no go. I was going to use pint freezer bags, and single serve portion gravy into them. Microwave as needed. I'm guessing the amount of gravy generated by a pound of sausage would last me six weeks to two months. I was more concerned about the gravy becoming watery when it was heated.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Oct 2022
  • Put the gravy in an ice cube tray to freeze.  Once frozen, you can convert to putting them in a bag.  My wife has started to do that with milk as we don't drink it, but she uses it for baking and cooking.  Its been working out great for her to pull a few cubes out and thaw in microwave or right in the dish she is making.
  • #6 by 02ebz06 on 27 Oct 2022
  • When I do my pizza sauce, I put it in sandwich size zip-lock bags.
    Then lay them on a baking sheet and press them flat and freeze.
    Then you have nice flat bags that store nicely.

However, I do have a vacuum sealer so I do vacuum seal 4 in a bag.
  • #7 by Darwin on 27 Oct 2022
  • I’m a big fan of ziploc twist n loc containers but they take up more space than flat pack bags done like above suggestion.
  • #8 by ylr on 27 Oct 2022
  • I think I do the freeze flat option. Easier to store and heat up!
  • #9 by NorCal Smoker on 28 Oct 2022
  • My wife saw these on Shark Tank and bought them on Amazon. We have used them for Chili and they work great!  They are  called Super Cubes.

• #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Oct 2022
  • Norcal, I think that is what my wife bought too.
  • #11 by ylr on 12 Mar 2023
  • After some experimenting, I'm pretty happy with the results! Jimmy Dean Regular fits the flavor profile I like; I also used the "freeze flat" option, and it works really well! Partially thaw the bag in the microwave, then dump the contents in a skillet and add a little more milk, stirring it until hot and the right consistency.

Also did a cost analysis of the process. Including the freezer bags, it comes to about $2.30 per serving, so easily over 100 bucks a year!  :clap:
  • #12 by hughver on 13 Mar 2023
  • No vacuum packer, no problem, just use baggies and use displacement method to eliminate air. I now have three vacuum machines, but only my chamber machine works for liquids, until I got it, I always used the displacement for moist items. I still use it for XL (2.5 Gal. hefty baggies) with large roast or brisket.
Pages:
Actions