Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How did you get involved or introduced to pellet grilling  (Read 3336 times)

ericf

Re: How did you get involved or introduced to pellet grilling
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »

My brother in-law showed up at my house at the beginning of summer with a Treager Pro34 in the back of a truck. He wanted it but isn't a very good cook, but he really wanted to try it out. He dropped it off at my house saying it's "OURS" and to go crazy with it. He keeps showing up out of the blue with meats and recipes for me to try.

Win Win Win situation :bbq:

P.S He is so in love with them now, he's bought 6 of them for his better clients as gifts

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »

I was channel surfing and ran into the Traeger infomercial.  My family really likes barbecue and it seemed to be a better alternative to the gas grill we were currently using.  I recalled seeing pellet grill roadshows at my local Costco and it turned out one was starting the next morning.  My annual Costco check was also burning a hole in my pocket so here I am.  That was around this past Memorial Day weekend.  We have gone through a lot of meat since then and the entire family is happy with our pellet grill purchase.

TechMOGogy

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »

Here's my story
Moved from central Texas back to Canada in 1998/1999.
After a year or 2 I was driving and all of a sudden BBQ popped into my head - I have not had BBQ in over a year!
I went to every BBQ joint I could find in Ontario and back then they were all xxxx (or at least thats how I felt about it).
Decided I could do it myself - made a smoker - epic failure so I started looking at everything - offset, BGE, Weber, etc.
Then I saw a pellet smoker at a local bbq shop, I used to use pellets to heat my place in Texas and loved the convenience and the heat output.
Went up to same bbq shop on Traeger demo day and went home with a Lil Tex Elite
Love it so much I headed to Ponca City to take FE cooking class and a judging class.
Saw the FEC100 and ordered a custom one once I got home (Stuart told me who my local dealer was, 20 mins from my house).
I saw Loot N' Booty win 1st place chicken at the 2014 American Royal Invitational with a perfect 180 on a GMG DC - got one of those too a year later and use it a ton!
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »

In Sept 2012 I had just returned from my yearly four month trek to the waters of the great NW and stopped by to visit my brother-in-law before returning to AZ. He had just bought a Traeger and offered me some of his recently smoked jerky. It was by far the best jerky that I'd ever tasted. When I returned to AZ, I did some research and ended up buying a Traeger BBQ-400 (Select) from Costco. Joined Pelletheads.com and have never looked back.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »

My son is on a BBQ team, and they also produce Rubs and Sauces.  One of them went to work selling Traeger in the local mall.  I walked often there and it took about 3 trips before I was sold.  Bought a Lil Tex Elite and loved it.  Found "Pelletheads" and loved it.  Bought another Elite for my son.  His team added Traeger to their stick burner for competition.  I then saw a Blaz'n ad and read lots about them in PH.  So I bought one 2 years ago.  Been happy ever since. Sold the Traeger to a friend and he is happy also.  It is like a disease.  :bbq:

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »

My son is on a BBQ team, and they also produce Rubs and Sauces.  One of them went to work selling Traeger in the local mall.  I walked often there and it took about 3 trips before I was sold.  Bought a Lil Tex Elite and loved it.  Found "Pelletheads" and loved it.  Bought another Elite for my son.  His team added Traeger to their stick burner for competition.  I then saw a Blaz'n ad and read lots about them in PH.  So I bought one 2 years ago.  Been happy ever since. Sold the Traeger to a friend and he is happy also.  It is like a disease.  :bbq:

And now you found PelletFan  :clap:
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2017, 07:04:55 AM »

Fellow KCBS Judge mentioned pellet smokers to me when I was looking to replace my Stumps Smokers.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2017, 07:43:12 AM »

I had always loved barbecue, ever since I was a kid, but could never understand why I couldn't replicate at home on a Weber the results I tasted in the restaurants. I just resigned myself to a life of eating out, or doing "fauxbecue" by saucing ribs in the oven.

Then, in 2016, we were visiting my M-I-L at her retirement community, and while she and my wife were doing something else, I was flipping through her cable channels when I ran across the now-ubiquitous Traeger infomercial. I had no idea this technology even existed.

It was all I could do to not order one there and then, but I decided to do some research first. That led me to Pelletheads, where I learned of all the other brands. I read every single comment or post I could find, looked at mfr websites, checked prices, you name it. I decided I couldn't justify the cost of the big boys, and was about to order a RecTec Mini when I saw a post on the forum for a gently used one, and it was right on my route to visit family in MI. I reached an agreement on price with the owner, met her and her husband in the parking lot of their local Walmart, and spent the rest of the weekend driving it around MI in my car, before I could get it home. Now, about 16 months later, I'm just super happy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:19:37 AM by Craig in Indy »

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2017, 09:33:59 AM »

As I am an addicted BBQ person I visit every BBQ section of every store I visit.  Visiting our local hardware store I encountered "TRAEGER DAVE"(sales person) as I later called him..I got a deal I couldn't refuse..I even tried to ask for just something more to get out of the deal..That never worked so I ended up w/ an other pit. That was over 6 years ago.  The rest is history.

dk117

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »

ok I'll play.  For 15 years I was a gasser only.  I cannot recall much of anything memorable other than kabobs (marinaded beef chunks, chicken breast chunks, onion, peppers ... which I now do on the Traeger).   Then I had a year with a Bradley electric puck smoker.  I produced some totally dry brisket, sausage and salmon.  Went to a local BBQ shop for some "real BBQ equipment"  I just knew I needed an offset wood/charcoal smoker.  They had none, but they had pellet smokers.  This was March 2010.  The sales guy really wanted me to get a GMG, I went with the Traeger Texas as a birthday gift to myself (my birthday was two months later.)   I've really never looked back.   My cooking ability has grown exponentially.   This was mostly from knowledge and sharing on PH.  Received 3rd place in a just for fun church competition (with three other Traegers).   While I'm just a hack cook, I'm considered the BBQ master among my friends and family.  Turkey Breast, Pulled Pork, Tri Trip, smoked salmon, chicken, and pulled beef have become the go-to for gatherings at our house.  The Texas allows for feeding everyone.  One unique item in my journey is that I haven't found justification for an upgrade yet. 

DK

SJeP

• Using less gas.
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2017, 07:08:36 PM »

Very new to pellet grills and this is my second post after than my introduction.

I was introduced to smoking last year when I got a great deal on a Masterbuilt electric smoker. This spring I saw the Traeger infomercial and decided to look into getting a pellet grill. That's how I found the PH site. Did some research and bought a Blaz'n Grand Slam.

Just after receiving it the PH site went done. Then I found this site and was thrilled that I had a place to discuss my new hobby.

Thank you B & K!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:14:33 PM by SJeP »

DE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »

It was back in first part of 2010. I had a Smokintex electric for some years but just didn't use it that much, but liked smoked meat. Had long ago left behind my trailer Smoker, (now called an ESB (Evil Stick Burner) looking for an simpler way. Somehow from the Cookshack sight i came across an interesting Pelletgrill and best of my memory googled and found a website run by Larry and Bentley. I read and researched every grill they had done testing on and read countless posts by owners of each. After a year of researching and being I had a generous family to pitch in on Fathers Days gifts, I received my PG1000 for Father's Day 2011. You guys will continue to make lives better via the site as well. Thanks you Bentley and Kristin for picking up the ball and continuing on.
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

Vision

• Using less gas.
  • Baltimore, Maryland
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2017, 06:54:42 PM »

Had a wsm 18 with blower, it was good but a lot of work to setup, take down, watch temps and can't lay ribs flat, briskets are a problem. Starting looking at pellet grills and after lots of research, including the previous site, went mak and have not looked back.
Mak 1 Star Blackstone 36 WSM 18 Weber OTG

Polekitty

• Using less gas.
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2017, 03:04:47 PM »

Watched a infomercial, did a little research and came home with a CC DLX in early July. Only missed one weekend of cooking so far since I got it. Practiced with different brands of pellets, found the one I like best (Lumberjack) and rest is history. My reason for changing is that I got really tired of babysitting my small offset stick burner.

Starship

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »

Had a 15 year old Ducane gasser. Got tired of replacing parts. Was at Costco and saw the Traeger, almost bought one.
Don't usually spend that kind of money without at least some research.

Came home did the google thing, came across pelletheads, got to looking at GMG. Went to dealer that sold me the Ducane and left with GMG Daniel Boone. That was about 4 years ago (maybe 5, times flies when you're having fun).
Everyone is good at something...I happen to be a good bad example.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up