Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The way I like smoked ham.  (Read 417 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
The way I like smoked ham.
« on: November 03, 2022, 07:00:55 PM »

Have not done one for a long time. I usually buy a cooked spiral cut ham with the sugar glaze package included. My main objection to prepared hams is that they are not finished IMO.  If a slice of ham is "done" but is still very red, and a bit chewy I will not try to eat it. When it is light in color and pulls apart easily like a good Danish Canned Ham, it is "done".  So I buy the typical holiday spiral cut, foil wrapped ham and put it in the grill/smoker in a pan and cook it at around 275 for another 2-3 hours. Basting it in it's own juices and then paint it with the included sugar sauce and leave it in for another 30 minutes to set. Now my question is: What would be a good internal temp to reach? I have never used a temp probe for this. (cause I did it this way long before I had a smoker, and did not have a meat probe.)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: The way I like smoked ham.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 08:29:13 PM »

It is awful hard to find uncooked hams anymore, butcher maybe.  Anything in a super market is going to be fully cooked, at least around here.  You could cut it up and eat it when you get home.  Honey baked has always suggested that their hams be served at room temperature.  To me, smoking or using a dry heat on a fully cooked ham makes it unappealing to me, dries it out to much, so I will always cook with liquid.  Usually a fruit juice with brown sugar.

I am not sure if these "prepared" hams you are referring to are already cooked?  I would assume they are, and if so, any reheated temperature is safe.  I guess if you ant a warm to hot piece of ham, you will need to get to about 130°.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 09:16:35 PM »

For store bought hams I usually go anywhere in the 135-145 area.

I have only ever had one maybe two spiral sliced hams. Not a big fan, rather have one I have to cut myself or cure my own picnic shoulder or butt.

okie smokie

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 08:52:14 AM »

We also have had them rarely. I jut get in the mood occ.  Usually when expecting the whole family.  Then can send home lotsa left overs with them, and save the bone and scraps for bean soup. May do it for Christmas.  Meanwhile, just wondered if I was able to improve my approach to a good endpoint by using internal temp on an already cooked ham? I have usually just had oven at 250*-275* for 3 hrs with basting to get it done to my liking.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 09:23:40 AM »

This is my current method.  I pull it when the IT is 140° deep in the meat halfway up the bone.  It FTCs well.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 10:12:11 AM »

This is my current method.  I pull it when the IT is 140° deep in the meat halfway up the bone.  It FTCs well.
140* sounds like a good end point for a pre-cooked ham.  I read your thread.  Good advice.

Chokma

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 11:10:17 AM »

Can't remember where I got this method (maybe PH), but it is always a hit around my house.

Preheat smoker to 225 degrees

Spiral cut precooked ham in aluminum pan
1 cup honey
1/4 cup Texas Bros. Dry Rub
1 cup pineapple juice
6 oz. Coke or Dr. Pepper (NOT diet)
2 oz. brown sugar

Mix 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 1/2 cup honey, 1/8 cup (2 Tbs.) of rub.  Pour over top of ham.  Cook uncovered for 2 hours, basting w/juice every 30-45 min.
After 2 hours, pour 6 oz. Coke/Dr. Pepper over the ham, foil and cook another hour.
Glaze--mix 1/2 cup pineapple juice, 1/8 cup rub, 1/2 cup honey, 2 oz. (4 Tbsp) brown sugar and pour over ham.  Cook uncovered for another 45 minutes to an hour.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 11:45:48 AM »

Am I the only one here who doesn't glaze a ham?  We like ham that isn't sweet. ???
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 12:16:53 PM »

Am I the only one here who doesn't glaze a ham?  We like ham that isn't sweet. ???

No, I am in there with you on this. Just give me plain ham. If I cure butts for ham I will rub black pepper and garlic on the outside.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 04:23:18 PM »

We can go either way but prefer non sweet.
We make a bourbon maple glaze with pepper when we do a “sweet ham”, we do like them that way.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 04:26:04 PM »

No, I am in there with you on this. Just give me plain ham. If I cure butts for ham I will rub black pepper and garlic on the outside.

Not a big fan of sweet ham here either
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 09:37:14 PM »

I love sweet, savory, sandwich, Deviled Ham...I want it All!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up