Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bobitis on 06 Oct 2017
  • I dunnOoo...

These are clams:

And this is a Puget sound clam:

• #17 by pmillen on 06 Oct 2017
  • I don't know. Check out this
                                       https://liprippersfishing.wordpress.com/2016/04/07/recreational-shrimp-fishery-opens-may-14-in-puget-sound/

Also check out Ron Garner. ..... Might be legit.

It said that Spot Shrimp max out at 9 inches.  It might be legit if that guy is two feet tall.
  • #18 by Fire708 on 07 Oct 2017
  • Ok, so maybe our shrimp aren’t really that big but there really mean!  ;)
  • #19 by Bentley on 07 Oct 2017
  • Geoduck that big, are they tough?
  • #20 by scdaf on 07 Oct 2017
  • As boot leather.  Really tasty after you spend a half hour or so pounding on the "foot" with a stick.  Makes incredible clam fritters, but your shoulder is so sore from the pounding, you can't lift them from the plate.
  • #21 by Bobitis on 08 Oct 2017
  • Geoduck that big, are they tough?

Depends on the age (imagine that). A former boss and mentor is a leader in the Puget Sound shellfish community.
    Some years back, the geoduck was becoming scarce due to poaching. Most of the time, harvesting of the clam comes at really low tides (maybe 10 days a year). Poachers use scuba gear to collect them year round, and being the evil spawn they are, they do it in darkness.  >:(

Due to the deteriorating water quality and habitat for the geoduck (they don't grow everywhere), Tris Carlson (former boss) devised a method to grow the clam and promote its population in the south sound. Cathy (his wife) was cfo at the time (rip).

http://aquaculturenorthamerica.com/shellfish/geoduck-tales/

So... the short answer is, old ones are tough. Geoduck is highly prized in the Asian markets (that's why they get poached). The younger clams are the best and don't need beating. The flesh is pure white and soft. But... It all comes down to best practices.

Thanks Tris.
  • #22 by hughver on 08 Oct 2017
  • A real shrimp from Louisiana.
  • #23 by Fire708 on 08 Oct 2017
  • A real shrimp from Louisiana.

Not sure, could you ship me a dozen to try out and make sure there real?
    PLEASE   :)
  • #24 by riverrat49 on 10 Oct 2017
  • In the PNW they call that a Crawdad or Bait  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

A real shrimp from Louisiana.
Pages:
Actions