Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by atlasx2001 on 14 Nov 2022
  • Curious if anyone has experience with this round design of pellet grills.   I am not sure if there is a name for the shape.   In concept, it seems that these would offer a more uniform temperature with the firebox in the center.   

My biggest issue with my GMG was the temperature variation even after I make the deflector adjustments.   The repairs of the augur and electronics was expected over time.   

Anyway, I will stop the griping but curious if anyone has these or recommends this design before I actually replace the GMG.   Currently looking at other Reqteq models, Yoder, Mak, or maybe Cookshack.   

Thanks!
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 14 Nov 2022
  • I don't have experience with them but the first one I had seen was the Grilla unit. it wasn't a kettle type lid it kind of slid around it self.

https://www.grillagrills.com/products/grilla-alpha

If I wanted a round unit it would be one of them or maybe something like a Pellet Joe if they still make them.

• #3 by Bill-N-Carolina on 19 Nov 2022
  • I have the regular RT-B380 bullseye (not the upgraded X) and it's a pretty good grill. The bullseye is more of a direct heat grill with the holes in the deflector plate though. A drip pan can be placed on the deflector plate for more of an indirect cook if needed. Even though the fire pot is in the center, the right side of my grill runs a little hotter. There are more vents on the right side, and the fan primarily pushes air left to right even though there are holes on all sides of the fire pot. It is a great addition to my larger RT-590, but I wouldn't want it as my sole grill. The temps run high because of the direct heat and are not as stable as my other grills. The upgraded B380X has vents on both sides, so it might even the temps out a little bit. $800 is a lot to spend on 22" of space though.
  • #4 by hughver on 20 Nov 2022
  • It would seem to me that round boxes would circulate air better than square. But what do I know?
  • #5 by atlasx2001 on 28 Nov 2022
  • I have the regular RT-B380 bullseye (not the upgraded X) and it's a pretty good grill. The bullseye is more of a direct heat grill with the holes in the deflector plate though. A drip pan can be placed on the deflector plate for more of an indirect cook if needed. Even though the fire pot is in the center, the right side of my grill runs a little hotter. There are more vents on the right side, and the fan primarily pushes air left to right even though there are holes on all sides of the fire pot. It is a great addition to my larger RT-590, but I wouldn't want it as my sole grill. The temps run high because of the direct heat and are not as stable as my other grills. The upgraded B380X has vents on both sides, so it might even the temps out a little bit. $800 is a lot to spend on 22" of space though.

Thanks!   I wasn't thinking about the space.   It just sounds like a great concept with the firebox in the center with a round space above to allow for even heat around but air flow is key as you mention.   I will go another route as the space would be my primary issue with this design.   I also have a propane grill as well so high heat is not something that I really need out of the smoker.

• #6 by atlasx2001 on 28 Nov 2022
  • It would seem to me that round boxes would circulate air better than square. But what do I know?

These were my exact thoughts as well.  In concept, sounds great.   Bill just mentioned that it did not work quite that well and really the space would not be enough for me.
Pages:
Actions