Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 19 Nov 2022
  • Both have their niche. Best explanation of their qualities. Comments?

https://www.reliance-foundry.com/blog/304-vs-430-stainless-steel
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 19 Nov 2022
  • I think there is not much question that 304 would be the preferred. Ease of clean up, more corrosion resistant. That would be why it is used in commercial kitchen applications, plus the better option for welded assembly. 430 is cheaper so it is the choice for most low to mid range grills, means higher profit margins while marketing as SS construction and increasing the cost because of it. Most consumers see SS and they are  not aware of the different grades.

• #3 by 02ebz06 on 19 Nov 2022
  • IMO either is better than painted.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 19 Nov 2022
  • Actually the article relates that the anti corrosion is very good in both, just some better in 304. But 430 is very good for exterior in most climates. So yes much cheaper, but not really a handicap in most climates. 304 is better for interior because it is more malleable, and can be welded easily, whereas 430 does not weld properly and is more brittle in heat. I have never had corrosion with the 430 on RT grills because it is 16 gauge or better and good quality of finish. I thought the comparison was well done.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 20 Nov 2022
  • I had a SS gas grill once that had a little rust showing in the welds. None on the metal though.

• #6 by okie smokie on 20 Nov 2022
  • also of interest:  304 can show some mild magnetic effect where it has been cut, machined, or welded. But that does not mean it is compromised in any significant way.
  • #7 by hughver on 20 Nov 2022
  • When I buy stainless steel, I try to get 360.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 20 Nov 2022
  • When I buy stainless steel, I try to get 360.
    Bet you have a hard time finding it.
  • #9 by hughver on 20 Nov 2022
  • Not really, I just shop at marine stores.
  • #10 by okie smokie on 20 Nov 2022
  • There is a 360 kitchen ware company but they use 304 layered with 401 for their cookware. The only marine grade SS I am aware of is 316 and the highest grade I've seen of 300 series SS is 321 but have no knowledge of what it is for. Perhaps you meant 316?
  • #11 by hughver on 22 Nov 2022
  • You are right, I just had a senior moment, meant 316
  • #12 by JoeGrilling on 29 Nov 2022
  • I had a SS gas grill once that had a little rust showing in the welds. None on the metal though.
    Most quality welding operations passivate the welds after welding. 
    This prevents weld rusting.
  • #13 by Canadian John on 30 Nov 2022
    Most quality welding operations passivate the welds after welding. 
    This prevents weld rusting.

FOR the UNKNOWING: Passivation is a widely-used metal finishing process to prevent corrosion. In stainless steel, the passivation process uses nitric acid or citric acid to remove free iron from the surface. The chemical treatment leads to a protective oxide layer, or passivation film, that is less likely to chemically react with air and cause corrosion. Passivated stainless steel resists rust.

• #14 by okie smokie on 30 Nov 2022
  • Good info John. Interesting how metal working has evolved over the centuries. Passivation is new to me. Wonder how and who could have developed it.
  • #15 by ofelles on 30 Nov 2022
  • Many years ago I did a HVAC job at a Bosch and Lomb (sp) plant (contact lens cleaner line).  We had to use 316SS material for anything (duct, grills, screws, bolts, etc) exposed in the room, the last 1' of supply duct, and the first 10' of all return duct.  All return SS return duct had to be passivated on the inside.  Plus any time we hammered, pried, cut, or screwed something it had to be passivated again.  Every night the room was sterilized with a chorine mist and wipe down.
    Very interesting job!
Pages:
Actions