Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pub cheese  (Read 994 times)

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Pub cheese
« on: November 21, 2022, 05:58:03 AM »

My Mother always made some kind of cheese balls like you find at the stores, my Mothers were always better. They were kind of like a pub cheese type ball.
We were shopping for the holidays and decided based on price to try and make some.
Lots of recipes, just basically flat dark beer slowly mixed into grated cheese in a food processor with other seasonings.
Any one ever made it and can offer advice.

BigDave83

• South West PA
Re: Pub cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 07:49:28 AM »

Not really sure what a Pub Cheese ball is.

If it is getting heated get some Sodium Citrate to help keep it from breaking.

But food processor sounds like you are just mixing beer and cheese along with maybe other flavors in to a formable paste?

I think the only cheese balls I have ever made was the the Armour Star dried beef one. I used to make it all the time for work and for customers, I got to where it wasn't even a ball as auto techs couldn't care less about the way it looked as long as it was free and good and even good maybe a stretch. I would mix it and put in a container and drop it and a box of Ritz off in the morning m in the afternoon I would get a call asking when i was making  more.

here is the recipe,  I added in some roasted garlic and maybe a bit of fine shredded cheddar

2 blocks of cream cheese Leave this out over night to soften
5-6 stalks  onion chopped fine
1 jar Armour Dried Beef chopped fine, I used extra and if you are making it in to a ball save some of it and the green onion for on the outside to make i look pretty.

When you make your Pub Cheese ball hope you post up a picture and a little how to.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 09:32:38 AM »

When I was a kid, the fanciest restaurant my siblings and I could ever think of going to was Win Schuler's. After all, they actually had real tablecloths instead placemats! It also brought out the obligatory, "you better mind your manners if you ever want go out in public again" speech by my dad, while driving there in the car.

One of the things they were known for was their bar cheese. If I remember correctly it was served out of a small ceramic crock. It had a wonderful tangy flavor, thanks to a bit of horseradish. It was a treat we looked forward to. In latter years it became available in grocery stores.

After reading your post I checked for any copycat recipes online. I found a lot of them. Some looked like they came from rather authentic sources. I was shocked to find out that the first ingredient listed in most all of them was Velveeta cheese. Several also added a notation: Absolutely No Substitutions. The only recipe that had a different cheese listed, was one calling for cheese wiz.

I am not a fan of Velveeta, and cheese wiz would be even lower on my list. I guess there is probably a lesson in there somewhere. Perhaps it is about how things we like the least have the capability to be part of something we treasure. I am probably reading too much into it, but thanks for reviving a childhood memory.

God grant that I may never live to be useless! ― John Wesley

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 10:45:19 AM »

The ones that had the chopped nuts around them?  The Swiss Colony at its finest.  I bet your moms was better.  Your plan sounds good. I wonder if the cheese ball had seasoning in it?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 06:40:12 PM »

The ones that had the chopped nuts around them?  The Swiss Colony at its finest.  I bet your moms was better.  Your plan sounds good. I wonder if the cheese ball had seasoning in it?
She did it (as I remember) with the little jelly jars of Roka blue cheese and I think Kraft. It did have the salty beef mixed in as well. My guess would be onion and garlic powder with worchestershire sauce, balled up, cooled and then rolled in nut fragments and chives.
Boy howdy, might be melancholy but dang they were awesome.
We are going to give it a go but sharp cheddar style. Time will tell.

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2022, 11:30:34 PM »

Well if your wanting a better cheese then Velveeta you would want to follow more along the line of what Dave mentioned. You could follow one of the copy cat recipes jdmessner suggested, but use a good cheddar that you shred yourself plus whatever beer you want and the sodium citrate. Depending what end texture your looking for you will want to add Sodium hexametaphosphate as well. The two used in combination can turn any cheese into a velveeta texture and the Sodium hexametaphosphate makes it so it is sliceable since the sodium citrate works great for making cheese sauce, but doesn't let it firm up enough to slice well.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

yorkdude

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 10:06:48 AM »

Well we are going to try it.
Yesterday was kinda busy and I forgot cheese, our SIL works for the cheese company that you can see in the pics. Brought it from his house and dang the luck…..they didn’t have sharp.
On a completely different note, Gwennie got a cooler for my Christmas present, had a top sign made for me and her and the kids surprised me with it.
Heres a few pics.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 11:54:37 AM by yorkdude »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 10:17:29 AM »

Nice looking cooler.  Do you know what the temp range is on it?  That may be something I should have in my basement when my exist fridge goes.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

yorkdude

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 11:52:45 AM »

3/4 success. A tad too much garlic but 1st go’s kinda work like that.
I will ask Gwennie on the cooler. All I know is 2 day info.
33” currently.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 12:19:41 PM »

If you have the name of the cooler, would be helpful.
I could replace a full-size fridge with that.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 01:00:22 PM »

May I ask what your process was for the cheese spread?

For the cooler here is an amazon link, looks like home depot sells them also.
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-PRF125DX-Single-Merchandiser-Refrigerator/dp/B0B3NCQ9YS?th=1

yorkdude

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2022, 01:59:16 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-PRF125DX-Single-Merchandiser-Refrigerator/dp/B0B3NCQ9YS?th=1
Yep, she grated a pound of mild cheddar (use sharp), 4 ozs cream cheese, Tbs of worcestershire sauce, 4 ozs of the beer, tsp garlic and onion, 1/2 tsp ground mustard.
We will definetely make it again but use sharp cheese, pull back on the on the garlic and onion (probably by half) and get the crackers ready.
Its really good.
The cooler is a “premier” she thinks is what it was called. Gwennie said it was $975 but she used a coupon or discount. (She reluctantly answered) because it was my Christmas present.
She took the top plexiglass to a buddy who does graphics and wraps on the golf carts and had him do the top.

yorkdude

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2022, 02:07:25 PM »

Nice looking cooler.  Do you know what the temp range is on it?  That may be something I should have in my basement when my exist fridge goes.
$5.00 dial says 31 * digital says 34* .
The Grandgirls love it because they have “their shelf”.

yorkdude

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2022, 02:14:52 PM »

If you have the name of the cooler, would be helpful.
I could replace a full-size fridge with that.
Big Dave is correct. Model is PRF125 DX.
I have no idea if the top looks like that. Was redone before I ever saw it.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2022, 03:58:10 PM »

Yep, she grated a pound of mild cheddar (use sharp), 4 ozs cream cheese, Tbs of worcestershire sauce, 4 ozs of the beer, tsp garlic and onion, 1/2 tsp ground mustard.
We will definetely make it again but use sharp cheese, pull back on the on the garlic and onion (probably by half) and get the crackers ready.
Its really good.
The cooler is a “premier” she thinks is what it was called. Gwennie said it was $975 but she used a coupon or discount. (She reluctantly answered) because it was my Christmas present.
She took the top plexiglass to a buddy who does graphics and wraps on the golf carts and had him do the top.

was this heated to combine or just put in the food processor? also ", Tbs of worcestershire sauce" just 1?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up