Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoked turkey legs  (Read 270 times)

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
Smoked turkey legs
« on: November 23, 2022, 10:15:02 PM »

I have been hesitant to do turkey on my smoker since my first attempt ended with leathery skin. We decided to do some experimenting.

This is the first iteration, and they are already better than before.

First, we started with some back-and-forth messaging with a friend who is a sous chef. She told us that we needed to go to at least 275 to render the skin properly.

We found a recipe and adjusted a bit by increasing the temperature of the smoker over what was called for.

We started with a 22-hour brine in a liquid consisting of brown sugar, kosher salt, bay leaves, mustard seeds and cloves.

We used a rub made from brown sugar, mixed pepper, paprika, garlic powder and kosher salt.

I cooked them to an internal temperature of about 190, which is what I prefer for dark meat fowl We pulled one and tested at about 170 and did not like it. It was still a bit spongy.

I ran the smoker between about 230 and 350. I was tweaking it quite a bit. Thank goodness for wifi controllers. Total cook time was 4 hours and 20 minutes in the smoker.

The result was excellent. The skin was soft, but not crunchy. The meat was moist and tender. There was a bit too much of a brown sugar flavor for me.

I will cut down on that in the future or eliminate it completely. We ate a couple and freezed the rest, due to an overabundance of cooked food.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Smoked turkey legs
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 06:07:21 AM »

Nice cook.

I cut up 2 turkeys for today, I am the only one that really eats the dark meat so I sealed up 2 legs and 2 boned out thighs. I want to do the brined/cured disney type of legs with those in the future.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Smoked turkey legs
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 01:45:05 PM »

They do look good!

That's an other feather in  your cap Hank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up