Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by rfinley on 25 Nov 2022
  • Well, It had to happen at some point.....  Started up my Daniel Boone Grill 90 mins before putting the turkey in. Fired right up and leveled out at 250 degs.  Finished up up getting the turkey ready, went out to put it in the grill and the temp was at 180 and as I watched it continued dropping !!!  Tried restarting but didn't light. Went to plan B in the oven. Checked it out today and found the auger not turning. Going to call GMG's to see if it will be under warranty.  :) :) :) [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by pmillen on 25 Nov 2022
  • What bad luck!  It's good to see that you had a fall-back plan.

I had my trial on Thanksgiving, too.  Mine was pilot error on a new drum smoker.  I ruined the turkey but had a ham smoking on another device so we didn't have to order pizza.
  • #3 by rfinley on 28 Dec 2022
  • Well, It had to happen at some point.....  Started up my Daniel Boone Grill 90 mins before putting the turkey in. Fired right up and leveled out at 250 degs.  Finished up up getting the turkey ready, went out to put it in the grill and the temp was at 180 and as I watched it continued dropping !!!  Tried restarting but didn't light. Went to plan B in the oven. Checked it out today and found the auger not turning. Going to call GMG's to see if it will be under warranty.  :) :) :) [ Invalid Attachment ]

So, I decided to replace the auger assembly as this thing has been good for about 10 years. Made some calls, got a part number, started checking and it's around $100. But guess what.....  Supply chain issues, out of stock and can't say when it will be available !!!  I'll keep looking !!
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 28 Dec 2022
  • Appliances of all kinds are great, until they aren't.

Making me think it might a bad idea to have some spares of the more common things that break.

Just dawned on me that you said the auger wasn't turning.
    Don't know if the GMG is like the Blazin' I had, but it had a cotter pin holding the auger to the motor shaft.
    That would shear to prevent the motor from being damaged in the auger jammed for some reason.
    Might not hurt to check.  Could save you some money if that's all it is.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 28 Dec 2022

•  Replace the auger????  I would check the link first to make sure the motor is attached to the auger.  Next I would check the motor making sure it turns... I have found the motor bearings, both fan & auger

are minimally lubed @ assembly.  This leads to a slow or non rotating motor that is more prevalent in cold temperatures.  The problem is easily remedied. A small drop or two of a full synthetic engine oil

corrects the issue. Done properly the lubricant will last for years..   I prefer to  disassemble the motors, clean what's left of the old lube, then lube the bearing & shaft.
  • #6 by hughver on 28 Dec 2022
  • The igniter on my DC gave during prep so I installed the spare. Still did not ignite, both igniters measured good on the DVM. so I put in a spare controller, still no ignition, installed second spare controller, still no ignition. Problem must be in wire harness, but I could not find it. Off to the garbage can with the 10-year-old DC. Traeger had no problem handling the extra load. I'm probably too old to replace the DC. You can't take it with you. If the Traeger goes South, I won't hesitate to replace it. To be honest, The DC has been a great reliable little smoker, it survived a grease fire several years ago which was probably the root cause of the failure.
  • #7 by rfinley on 31 Dec 2022
  • I had, but it had a cotter pin holding the auger to the motor shaft.
    That would shear to prevent the motor from being damaged in the auger jammed for some reason.
    Might not hurt to check.  Could save you some money if that's all it is.

Yes, That has happened a couple times. I was up to using a small machine screw like a 10-32 with a nylok nut.

The auger turns but is tight. If I can not find parts soon i think I'll pull it completely apart and see if the auger is bent ??

Maybe a grade 5 machine screw ??   ;D ;D ;D
  • #8 by Canadian John on 01 Jan 2022

•   Just my :2cents:  I have noticed there have been several sticking or stuck Green Mountain augers listed over the years.  My guess is their direct exposure to heat is the cause where other brands have their

auger assembly shielded by the air delivery housing that has a constant flow of ambient air thus preventing the auger assembly from getting overly hot.

What I would do is either shield the auger assembly once freed up and/or, find what is deformed, correct it and add additional clearances.. I suspect the auger housing(tube) may be the culprit. Straightening

may prove difficult, to some.  If it was still round and has bent, straightening & welding a piece of angle iron to it to keep it that way should be a permanent repair.

Otherwise if the auger is straight reducing the outside diameter slightly should help by increasing the auger to tube clearance, easily done with a grinder.

I would like to know what you find. 

Have a super 2,023!
  • #9 by rfinley on 01 Jan 2022

•   I would like to know what you find. 

Have a super 2,023!

It's going to be crazy warm (maybe 60 ??) this week here in upstate NY so I'm going to dig in and at least get it going until I can get parts. I'll report back with what I find.
  • #10 by Clonesmoker on 20 Jan 2023
  • I was getting a lot of noise in my auger and it seemed to be straining to turn even. Called up GMG and they told me about gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket between were the box sits on top of the auger area. I pulled out the auger and it was black. I think over time the pellets with the oil in them and the temp it was like tar build up. I think more about it and it seemed like whenever I opened the lid to the pellet hopper, I would get a lot of backflow/smoke, more than usual. I have not had any issues since then with it. Just something else to think about.
  • #11 by Canadian John on 20 Jan 2023
  •  

Another happy camper.. Good to hear you got a fix.  On with cooking.
  • #12 by rfinley on 23 Jan 2023
  • Well, It didn't take as long as they thought on the slow boat from China !!

Should be back in business
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #13 by rfinley on 04 Feb 2023
  • So, since Thanksgiving Day malfunction,  the DB is back running as good as new !!  First cook is going well so far. I don't think it has ever ran as quiet as it is now. Big Birthday weekend and both daughters requested pulled pork. Now if the outside temperature would just get a little warmer !!!

Pages:
Actions