Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > GMG

Turkey Day Issues

(1/3) > >>

rfinley:
Well, It had to happen at some point.....  Started up my Daniel Boone Grill 90 mins before putting the turkey in. Fired right up and leveled out at 250 degs.  Finished up up getting the turkey ready, went out to put it in the grill and the temp was at 180 and as I watched it continued dropping !!!  Tried restarting but didn't light. Went to plan B in the oven. Checked it out today and found the auger not turning. Going to call GMG's to see if it will be under warranty.  :) :) :) [ Invalid Attachment ]

pmillen:
What bad luck!  It's good to see that you had a fall-back plan.

I had my trial on Thanksgiving, too.  Mine was pilot error on a new drum smoker.  I ruined the turkey but had a ham smoking on another device so we didn't have to order pizza.

rfinley:

--- Quote from: rfinley on November 25, 2022, 01:00:59 PM ---Well, It had to happen at some point.....  Started up my Daniel Boone Grill 90 mins before putting the turkey in. Fired right up and leveled out at 250 degs.  Finished up up getting the turkey ready, went out to put it in the grill and the temp was at 180 and as I watched it continued dropping !!!  Tried restarting but didn't light. Went to plan B in the oven. Checked it out today and found the auger not turning. Going to call GMG's to see if it will be under warranty.  :) :) :) [ Invalid Attachment ]

--- End quote ---

So, I decided to replace the auger assembly as this thing has been good for about 10 years. Made some calls, got a part number, started checking and it's around $100. But guess what.....  Supply chain issues, out of stock and can't say when it will be available !!!  I'll keep looking !!

02ebz06:
Appliances of all kinds are great, until they aren't.

Making me think it might a bad idea to have some spares of the more common things that break.

Just dawned on me that you said the auger wasn't turning.
Don't know if the GMG is like the Blazin' I had, but it had a cotter pin holding the auger to the motor shaft.
That would shear to prevent the motor from being damaged in the auger jammed for some reason.
Might not hurt to check.  Could save you some money if that's all it is.

Canadian John:

Replace the auger????  I would check the link first to make sure the motor is attached to the auger.  Next I would check the motor making sure it turns... I have found the motor bearings, both fan & auger

are minimally lubed @ assembly.  This leads to a slow or non rotating motor that is more prevalent in cold temperatures.  The problem is easily remedied. A small drop or two of a full synthetic engine oil

corrects the issue. Done properly the lubricant will last for years..   I prefer to  disassemble the motors, clean what's left of the old lube, then lube the bearing & shaft.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View