Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 06 Oct 2017
  • I'm really bummed out this evening. I was getting ready to put some ribs and a chuck roast on the grill this afternoon and one of the augers was not turning. From what I could tell, it didn't look like a pellet jam. The unit is probably at least 25 years old. Are there any easy trouble shooting steps I can take? Where would the best place be to go for replacement parts? Thanks in advance!
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 Oct 2017
  • Maybe one of the technical guys on here can help you troubleshoot the motor.  Hopefully, that could be replaced with a modern version without causing any issues if that is what is wrong.  Best of luck to you.
  • #3 by dk117 on 07 Oct 2017
  • Amazon has an replacement auger motor for $31.  But before you buy a new one, make sure that your sheer pin is in tact.   Mine sheered, I ordered the auger motor only to find out I needed a new .19 cent sheer pin. 

DK
    • dk117
  • #4 by dman77fb on 10 Oct 2017
  • The last 2 times I went to use my Texas there was a jam.  I’m trying to figure out why.  I installed a replacement auger and fan from Direct Igniter not too long ago, and installed a Don Godke downdraft around the same time.  I don’t think it was a good combination, meat comes out looking gray.  I am going to try it without the downdraft to see if I get better results.  I’m guessing the downdraft and fan combo are not breathing well enough for good combustion, which might cause the pellet jam.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 10 Oct 2017
  • Auger not turning:Is the auger motor(fan)turning??? If not it's the motor or no power to it. If it is not either the connector screw(motor to auger)or the gearing in the motor is the problem.

You might swapping the wires of the fan motor with the auger motor, then turn it on.If the auger turns it is the power supply..That translates to the connector back to and including the control..If not as above.

At 25 years +/- the pit doesn't owe you much..If however it is in generally good shape fix it and enjoy it..
  • #6 by Canadian John on 10 Oct 2017
  • dman77fb; Two auger jams so close = not good at all...What comes to mind is swollen pellets.It doesn't take much WATER to cause the problem.

Were the pellets swollen??

The other thing could be some sort of debris in the pellets.

What did you find in the auger other than perfectly formed pellets when you unjamed it?

Restricted air flow is not a good thing in a pellet pit..From former posts, downdrafts have caused problems @ higher cook temps on  some pits.

• #7 by jdmessner on 10 Oct 2017
  • Amazon has an replacement auger motor for $31.  But before you buy a new one, make sure that your sheer pin is in tact.   Mine sheered, I ordered the auger motor only to find out I needed a new .19 cent sheer pin. 

DK

THANK YOU DK for the heads up on the sheer pin. That is what the problem was. May eventually need to replace the motor, but not now!! Back in business!
Pages:
Actions