Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanksgiving Turkey  (Read 271 times)

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Thanksgiving Turkey
« on: November 26, 2022, 10:16:45 PM »

So I made two turkey's this year. One that was the typical brine for moisture and smoke and the second one was an attempt at recreating something we had experienced before and my father in law loved. The best way to describe it is as a turkey ham. I made a brine including cure #1 and then spatchcocked the turkey and then went a step further and removed the chest bone and ribcage so it would lay completely flat and would be easier to carve. I injected the turkey all over with the brine and then put it in in a brining bag in my frig for 3ish days. It then went on the smoker at 270 for 3ish hours. I was worried since this was my first attempt it would be overly salty, but it wasn't salty tasting yet still had that ham like texture and my father in law loved it. Probably my favorite turkey I have made to this point. I didn't think to take pictures during the process, but got a couple of pictures when it was done.

Mak 2 Star General #1799

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Thanksgiving Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 10:49:20 PM »

Sounds like an interesting process!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 11:36:23 PM »

Sounds like an interesting process!

Nothing impressive like the salami and bread making on here, but a way to make something I make because people expect turkey, into something I actually enjoyed eating.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 07:26:23 AM »

It is always fun to experiment and even better when it exceeds your expectations.   And this one clearly did
Pages: [1]   Go Up