Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by 02ebz06 on 26 Dec 2022
  • I was planning on reverse searing mine, but it took to long to smoke.  I had six adults with two cranky kids wanting something to eat.  They ended up being tender and everyone said it tasted great with a good smoky taste.  It tasted flat to me.  I am wondering if after smoking for 10 years my taste buds are off.  I never taste the smoky taste in what I smoke.

I think being around the smoke so much, our taste buds become numb to it.
    Rarely, can I taste the smoke.
  • #32 by hughver on 26 Dec 2022
  • One reason that I pre-seared mine is that I was not as confident about when to remove from smoker in order to obtain good sear while maintaining desired IT. In any case it turned out great, both sear and IT were perfect. After meat was sliced it was somewhat floppy, so picture does not do it justice. The slices were cut to 3/4-1"
  • #33 by 02ebz06 on 26 Dec 2022
  • Now we're talking!  That looks awesome!!!
  • #34 by NorCal Smoker on 28 Dec 2022
  • I have the same issue every year with my wife. I like rare side of medium rare and she likes well done. So I cook to my liking and for her piece, I put it in a pie tin with warm au jus and stick it back in the oven or smoker, flipping once. It does not take long!  Won't have the sear of a cast iron, but comes out just like a medium or well done prime rib, depending on how long you leave it in.  Worked in a prime rib and seafood restaurant in college and this is how they did it. Just another option.

Due to the extreme cold weather it took longer to do these.  I took off the first one when it got to 135.  Apparently this is to raw for my bunch.  I sliced it and my wife put these in a cast iron skillet for a few seconds and they were ready to eat.  I kept the other one on until 138.  This one was leftovers for three families.
Pages:
Actions