Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by garmp on 30 Nov 2022
  • I'm in the market, and in the dark about, Wireless wifi meat thermometers. I 'd like to get one for my pellet smoker. I want the wireless type AND with wifi. So I can put my meat on and go to the local watering hole for a few and know where I stand internal temperature wise. one or even two probes would be enough.
    I know you get what you pay for, but don't want to mortgage the house to get a good one. Any input, suggestions, warnings or such?
    Thanks
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Nov 2022
  • If you don't mind wires for the probes attached to the unit, I would go with a Thermoworks product.  If you do, look into the thermometer section to get the link so the site gets a commission to help fund hosting fees.  I love their products.

If you want something that is wireless between the unit and the probe in the meat, others can chime in.  I know Traeger has recently bought out Meater.  There are others out there too.  I don't have any of them so I can't help.
  • #3 by hughver on 30 Nov 2022
  • I purchased both Tappecue Air 2&3. I have not tried them yet for a cook but they do connect to my phone. They claim that they work inside a pressure cooker. I'm not going to try it though.
  • #4 by JoeGrilling on 01 Dec 2022
  • I bought the Fireboard unit several years ago and am very happy with it.  You connect to their website via wireless and you can monitor the temperature using your smart phone or PC.  I cooked two turkeys side by side a year ago with four probes.

I worked with network devices prior to retiring.  The company I worked for developed 10 gbit/s network chips.  From a network guy's perspective,  Fireboard Labs has a fairly robust network interface.  I am very happy with the device.   
  • #5 by dk117 on 01 Dec 2022
  • I ultimately got rid of all my remote thermometers.  Just found it unnecessary.  I work from home and use a Thermopen on demand. 
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Dec 2022
  • I ultimately got rid of all my remote thermometers.  Just found it unnecessary.  I work from home and use a Thermopen on demand.

Unlike you, I still have all of my remote thermometers, to some degree find them unnecessary, and use another Thermoworks less expensive than the Thermopen on demand.  I have not been smart enough to sell mine yet.  In fact, I am not even sure I have used the Signals I bought when it first hit the market.
Pages:
Actions