Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoked Turkey with Lessons Learned  (Read 811 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Smoked Turkey with Lessons Learned
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 04:42:28 PM »

When I used to wet brine corned beef it was 3Tbs (1/4 Cup) of #1 per gallon of water.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 10:06:00 PM »

I used to love turkey legs when I was a kid (pre-teen).  I used to eat a whole leg and sometimes two.  Not sure how my grandmother made them, but I loved them.  For some reason, I think she may have seared them in a skillet first and then baked them afterwards.  I didn't have a turkey leg for probably 40+ years until last year.  I bought a few at an Oktoberfest.  They were horrible.  I decided I don't need them anymore.  I prefer moist breast meat for turkey and chicken nowadays.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 12:40:01 PM »

This is a little off subject, but last year I bought two turkeys after Christmas @ .59/lb. While looking for a way to process them, I ran across this video. Results were easy to use turkey quarters. It gave me the ability to cook the dark meat to a different temperature than the white. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-sMdmCDXJ4
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 12:59:21 PM »

I get a pretty even cook with just spatchcocking the turkey. Legs actually get done a tad quicker than the breast.
I don't think I would ever put raw poultry on a wood surface as he does in the video.

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up