Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 02 Dec 2022
  • If I was going to high heat grill this I would never consider trimming this much.  But seeing as how it is cold and windy, pretty sure I do not want to be outside cooking it.  Will sear it off on the Lodge raised griddle and then finish in a medium high heat oven!

• #2 by BigDave83 on 02 Dec 2022
  • This is something I have never seen around me, Maybe I need to find a butcher, they are not easy to find either.Especially the ones that will sell cuts of meat we have several that do the custom butchering.

what is your end use or temp for this when done?
  • #3 by Bentley on 02 Dec 2022
  • Will pull it at about 125 and it usually ends up about 137°.  The tips will end up well, but most of the center will end up med rare to med.
  • #4 by Bentley on 02 Dec 2022
  • I have never been much of a let the beef come to room temperature kind of cook, but I though I would try it tonight.  It will be at room temperature (65°) for about 90 minutes.

• #5 by Bentley on 02 Dec 2022
  • 650° griddle.  Now in a 300° convection oven!

• #6 by cookingjnj on 02 Dec 2022
  • Looks great.  I have not cooked a Tri Tip in a long time.  Gotta search one out again.  Thanks for the thought Bent.  How did it come out?
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 02 Dec 2022
  • Looks great. Making md hongry.
    I think I've only cooked one once.  Seem to be a rarity at the places I shop.
  • #8 by pmillen on 02 Dec 2022
  • I have never been much of a let the beef come to room temperature kind of cook, but I though I would try it tonight.

Me neither.  Check to see how much it warms by putting a thermometer in it the next time you are allowing something to sit at room temperature.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Dec 2022
  • I have never been much of a let the beef come to room temperature kind of cook, but I though I would try it tonight.

Me neither.  Check to see how much it warms by putting a thermometer in it the next time you are allowing something to sit at room temperature.

If I am smoking it, I will go from fridge to grill.  If cooking like you did, it is probably best to get to room temp so it doesn't sink the heat of griddle or oven.
  • #10 by Bentley on 02 Dec 2022
  • It is kind of easy to look good when the meat is as nice as this one was.  Just a good cut of meat!

How did it come out?

• #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Dec 2022
  • Good stuff there.  Would be good on a nice roll with some good hot horseradish.  And, maybe some melted cheese.  Maybe even on a garlic bread roll.
Pages:
Actions