Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 14 Dec 2022
  • Us ex oiler's usually try and have things around Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years call Alcathons.  They are get togethers that may run for several hours to a few continuous day.  I will not go into more detail, if anyone is interested post any questions and I will be happy to answer.

I have offered to do the BBQ and the BBQ beans.  We are shooting for 80 for dinner.  I am going with the old catering axioms of 8oz of raw meat per person.  Went to Restaurant Depot yesterday and they had boneless butts.  Maybe they have always had them, 1st time I have ever seen them.  $1.89/lb., was pleased with that as they were $2.29 at Costco.  They were 2 packs like Costco, but had more fat on them then Costco.  I got a 22.47lb and a 21.49lb pack and thought I would be in pretty good shape for the 10% over rule.  Ended up trimming 68oz. (4.4lbs) of fat off.  Will see.  Gonna do the Bacon/Apple/Onion beans.  Will have about 40lbs of that also, so hoping my number pan out!

Cooking a little tight on Memphis Pro, if the shelves were adjustable, it would be perfect!  275°, hoping to be done in 7-8 hours.  Went on at 10:30am with a light salt, onion/garlic power & brown sugar rub.  Will put most seasoning on when it is pulled.

• #2 by 02ebz06 on 14 Dec 2022
  • Looks good.  Yeah, the Memphis 2nd shelf is a pain being fixed.
    Could stand to be up a couple inches, but then they would probably have to raise the hood as well.
  • #3 by Bentley on 14 Dec 2022
  • 2 hours in, rotated, temp is 132°.  Costco pellet.

• #4 by pmillen on 14 Dec 2022
  • Bentley, I see that the butts are sitting on Frog Mats (or similar).  Do they make pit grate cleanup easier?  Is there any downside to using them?
  • #5 by hughver on 14 Dec 2022
  • FWIW, on my last batch of butts that I did, I ran out of oven space to complete the last phase of the cook (place in covered foil pan with apple juice and rub, cook in oven at 350° to IT of 203°). At the stall (~160°), I took the excess smoked butts and cut them into fourths, put them into my 8-quart instant pot. cooked at high pressure for 16 50 minutes with a 15-minute natural pressure release. They actually pulled and tasted better than the oven versions and even had bark. As always, I cooled the juices from both, removed the fat and added back to pulled pork.  My 30 pounds of butts yielded ~14 pounds of pulled.
  • #6 by Bentley on 14 Dec 2022
  • They were panned and foiled at 160°.  I just love that Butt Jell-O, so it has to be done.  Being boneless, gunkless, and well trimmed...And usually having about 45% loss, I am hoping to get about 22lbs. of finished.  And with sauce & Butt Jell-O, hope to stretch that figure to about 24lbs.  If there are 80 people that would equate to just under a 5oz cooked meat sandwich and I think that would be pretty good size sandwich!
  • #7 by hughver on 14 Dec 2022
  • Yes, 5 oz. is a good-sized sandwich.
  • #8 by Bentley on 14 Dec 2022
  • The wrapped Memphis Pro 2 are done.  11lbs 12oz total, with 19oz of Butt Jell-O.  May lose another 8-12oz of gunk, but it looks pretty good.  Loss works out to just about 45%, sans the Butt Jell-O.

• #9 by Bentley on 14 Dec 2022
  • Not in my mind! No down side I can think of.  These are tired and worn, they go back to the days of Pasadena!

Bentley, I see that the butts are sitting on Frog Mats (or similar).  Do they make pit grate cleanup easier?  Is there any downside to using them?
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 14 Dec 2022
  • Would make it easier taking the floppy pork butt out of the grill I would think.

• #11 by BigDave83 on 14 Dec 2022
  • Would make it easier taking the floppy pork butt out of the grill I would think.

I use a big over sized spatula to remove.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Dec 2022

I use my hands that are usually covered with some sort of high heat glove.
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 15 Dec 2022

I have one of those too, but I think the mat would eliminated having to scrape it loose from the grates.
Pages:
Actions