Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 15 Dec 2022
  • OK those in the know, a RD USDA Select, yeah I know Cheap Screw, 1 1/2" Rib-eye steak.  Going to sous vide at 125°, then three 1 minute turns on grill.  How many hours at 125° to be tender?  I am starting it in about 15 minutes.  If it is more then 8 hours, will have to try again later as that is all i have today.
  • #2 by Bentley on 15 Dec 2022
  • Cut off an inch and a half piece from the little end.  Almost looks like a Strip Steak to me.  I have seen worse marbling in Select!

• #3 by Bentley on 15 Dec 2022
  • 8 hours @ 127° was close, but it could have been more tender.  Will try 10 next time.  I think I would have been very disappointed going straight to the grill.

• #4 by Bentley on 15 Dec 2022
  • I will say that it was more tender then I though it would be, and with just some salt and pepper it was more tasty then I though it would be.  A nice béarnaise on it would have been nice!  I have no problem with 45° angles outside, but get on the stove top and forget diamond pattern!

• #5 by Bentley on 15 Dec 2022
  • 35 days of Wet Aging and will see how it does after the Cruise in Jan.!

• #6 by urnmor on 15 Dec 2022
  • I probably would have done two things before i SV it.  I would have jarkard it and then salt it overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.  You could also have have seared it for a minute on both sides after it reached your desired temp. 
  • #7 by Bentley on 15 Dec 2022
  • It was seared for 4 minutes after the sous vide.  That is how I got it to 137°.  I am trying to use the sous vide in lieu of other tenderization techniques at this time.  I know it can make most meat very tender, it is just finding the correct amount of time for me.  To long in the bath can make for a very undesirable texture for me.
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 15 Dec 2022
  • 8 hours for a rib steaks seems like a long time to me. I would have thought 6 hours. but we all like things different when it comes to texture.
  • #9 by urnmor on 16 Dec 2022
  • Other than the meat what else did you place in the bag. I know you used salt and pepper however did you use any olive oil, garlic or herbs.
  • #10 by Bentley on 16 Dec 2022
  • I did not add any fats.  I assumed the fat from the steak would act as that, if fat helps.  I can certainly add some next time.
  • #11 by Bentley on 16 Dec 2022
  • I though it might be too, but it could have been more tender for me.  That, or i am trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear...it may not be able to be done.   I think it would really have been a tough cut if I had just seasoned and grilled.  The thing I do not like about sous vide if I "over" do it is the texture.  Hard to describe, but it is that mealy texture.  But man, when you hit the sweet spot, it is phenomenal!

8 hours for a rib steaks seems like a long time to me. I would have thought 6 hours. but we all like things different when it comes to texture.
  • #12 by Bentley on 16 Dec 2022
  • Changed title, will be easier for me to search and then use this thread as my notes!
  • #13 by hughver on 16 Dec 2022
  • I once had a select tenderloin that needed 16 hours to meet my tenderness desires.
Pages:
Actions