Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 23 Dec 2022
  • I am finally breaking down and get a slicer.  What would be a good, but reasonable priced slicer to get?  I am looking at "A", but I don't know any brand names.  This will not be used a lot, but it will be used to slice prime rib roasts and turkey breasts.
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 23 Dec 2022
  • I have had a waring pro 7" and the cabelas 8.9" I think it was,both serrated blades. I bought a used 12" globe years ago great slicer if you have a place to set it up and leave it. It has to be over 100 pounds.

A few years ago I was looking for something that was easier to move. I found a 10" Berkel used for a decent price and bought it. It is maybe 30 pounds, so I can stash it on a shelf and get it out when I need it. I have started using it for cutting my jerky meat more uniform slices and from time stand point no longer than hand cutting when factoring in the tear down and cleaning.

I would suggest looking through Facebook Market place or looking for restaurant supply auction places in your area and watching for a commercial slicer.

Webrestaurant has Advantco 10" 320w  looks like a clone of the Berkel in a way for $400 a similar from  Vevor is $300 240w.

No matter what you buy especially if you go the more commercial route, pick up a pair of cut resistant gloves and some food service grease and oil.

Also if you can find a cheap 6"machinist ruler and a good hollow ground screwdriver and set  of allen wrenches. Mine uses straight blade screws to hold the blade on, some may use allen head screws.

I would also be looking for 10" min and a 12" if you can find a deal you like would be even better.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 23 Dec 2022
  • I have the Advantco 10" slicer that Dave mentioned.  Was only $300 when I got it.

Your definition in "reasonable" will probably not be the same as everyone else.
    Only you can decide what is reasonable for you.

Search for "reasonable meat slicer"
    You won't get any hits with "reasonable" in it, but you will get a lot of the product review sites.
    I don't know how accurate the reviews are, since Amazon has their hooks into them, but you do get to see what is out their.

=================================================================================

Also if you can find a cheap 6"machinist ruler and a good hollow ground screwdriver and set  of allen wrenches.

WOW Dave,  here I was thinking I was the only one who knew what hollow ground screwdrivers were.
  • #4 by reubenray on 23 Dec 2022
  • Apparently my definition of "reasonable" is a lot lower than y'all.  I was hoping to keep it less than $200.

I did find a Vevor 10" slicer for $270.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 23 Dec 2022
  • for under 300 you may be able to find a good used commercial. I just saw an old Toledo I think it was for 125 around pittsburgh pa.
  • #6 by Bentley on 23 Dec 2022
  • Look at some of the ChefsChoice model's!
  • #7 by Jimsbarbecue on 24 Dec 2022
  • We have a chefs choice and for how small and reasonable the price was it has fit our needs. I started with a used 12 inch and it was just to big to store and the commitment to take it out and cleaning afterwards.
  • #8 by reubenray on 24 Dec 2022
  • We have a chefs choice and for how small and reasonable the price was it has fit our needs. I started with a used 12 inch and it was just to big to store and the commitment to take it out and cleaning afterwards.

What size blade does it have?   I found a 7" for $160.
  • #9 by reubenray on 24 Dec 2022
  • Will the Chef's Choice model cut frozen meat?
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Dec 2022

Do any of these slicers cut frozen meat other than a bandsaw?
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 24 Dec 2022

Do any of these slicers cut frozen meat other than a bandsaw?

I never had much luck with my cheap serrated blade ones. the globe and the berkel will cut frozen pork loin for sure and partially frozen chicken breast. I have not tried any beef cuts.
  • #12 by RWhyman on 24 Dec 2022
  • I have a Chef's Choice 615A that does pretty well. I use it mainly for cutting bacon and thin slicing of meat. I think I paid in the $150 range. I've had it for a few years. I doubt that it would cut anything frozen very well, but I've never tried.
  • #13 by Bentley on 24 Dec 2022
  • My 610 will cut frozen pork belly!
  • #14 by reubenray on 24 Dec 2022
  • I ordered the Chef's Choice 615A and it will be here next week.
  • #15 by BigDave83 on 24 Dec 2022
  • Good you found something in the price area you wanted. Give us your thoughts on it when it comes.
Pages:
Actions