Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 25 Dec 2022
  • It's labeled "Butt Half Ham."  I hope that means that this is a portion of the cut I think of as ham.  If so, what portion, top or bottom?

We didn't cut and wrap any pork in my dad's shop.  The few pork items we had were already packaged for resale.

This view looks ham-like.
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 25 Dec 2022
  • I believe that is the top portion of the ham. I think they are butt and shank. Shank will have the 2 bones of the leg and the joint usually. Butt has one bone and where they cut the ham steaks from.
  • #3 by Bentley on 25 Dec 2022
  • I do not know if "butt" half in a ham would refer to the portion closest to the rear...or like a Shoulder be the part closest to the neck.
  • #4 by 1MoreFord on 25 Dec 2022
  • BigDave is correct. 

The butt is the top of the ham and the shank is the bottom.

Just like a pork butt is the top of the shoulder and the picnic is the bottom.
  • #5 by pmillen on 25 Dec 2022
  • It cooked like a ham.  I'm disappointed in the variance and lack of specificity in meat portion naming.
  • #6 by hughver on 26 Dec 2022
  • Not being one that would pass up a good deal, while shopping for a rib roast, I came across this deal. It's small, unsliced and a shank portion but I did not buy it as an entree, but to use for seasoning beans, pea soup etc.
Pages:
Actions