Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 29 Dec 2022
  • I have not done pork ribs for several years and I saw this ad in the local flyer. I bought six racks of baby backs and one St. Louis style. I'll probably do them using a modified 3-2-1 approach. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a rub?
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 29 Dec 2022
  • Good price.

This is from a member on PH.  Forgot his name though.
    I'm very happy with it.

Mohunken Pork Rub

1     cup   Smoked Paprika
    1     cup   White Sugar
    1/2   cup   Brown Sugar

4     TBSP  Kosher Salt
    2     TBSP  Chili Powder
    1     TBSP  Dry Mustard Powder

2     tsp   Cayenne Pepper
    4     tsp   Black Pepper
    2     tsp   Dried Oregano
    2     tsp   Cumin Powder
  • #3 by reubenray on 29 Dec 2022
  • Good deal - my favorite type of ribs is St. Louis style, but I cannot find them anywhere.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 29 Dec 2022
  • Doing St. Louis spares at this moment. Walmart. Prairie Fresh. I note when they are defrosted, there is no slimy serum and blood as with the Costco rib.  Minor trimming and I crosshatch the membrane, since it works well and they are juicier when done. 4hrs at 275*. May or may not sprits with ACV. Will have them out around 6PM and take a pic or two. Haven't used 1070 for a month, but it lit right up and is stable in our 60* weather. We had not taste or interest in cooking when we had the influenza this month. All well now.
     :lick: 
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 29 Dec 2022
  • What do you mean by crosshatching the membrane ?
  • #6 by Bentley on 29 Dec 2022
  • Great price!
  • #7 by pmillen on 29 Dec 2022
  • Good deal - my favorite type of ribs is St. Louis style, but I cannot find them anywhere.
    It's fairly easy to trim pork spareribs into St. Louis style.  Search youtube for videos.
  • #8 by pmillen on 29 Dec 2022

I apologize for answering for okie smokie, but I suspect that he hasn't seen your question.

Some people remove the rib side membrane.  Others leave it whole.  A third school slices it, crosshatch or straight, to allow herbs and spices to penetrate from that side, too.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 29 Dec 2022
  • Just done(first pic). Painted and back on 1070 at 275* They were done in 3.5 hrs this time since the rack was smaller. Great ribs with nice crusty ends, good pull off bone. Sauce was a little thick "Spicy Razz" from my son. (the last bottle in captivity). They were great! 

• #10 by urnmor on 30 Dec 2022
  • Very nice looking smoke ring enjoy
  • #11 by Canadian John on 30 Dec 2022

•   I have been using Memphis Rub for a long time.  Great on chicken as well.

There are variants of this recipe.  This is the one I use.  * I tend to almost double the Rosemary powder.

Ingredients:

US Customary - Metric

▢¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

▢¾ cup white sugar

▢½ cup American paprika

▢¼ cup garlic powder

▢2 tablespoons ground black pepper

▢2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

▢2 tablespoons onion powder

▢2 teaspoons rosemary powder *
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Dec 2022
  • This was my go to rub years ago after many requested how I made it.  One day, I finally took the time to document it.  Some friends still use this recipe all of the time.

Rib Rub

You will need 1 box of Granulated Light Brown Sugar (14 oz.)

Pour into a gallon ziplock bag (in order of ingredients listed):

1/3 Box granulated light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    4 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons granulated garlic
    4 tablespoons chili powder
    1/3 box granulated light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons black pepper
    2 tablespoons onion powder
    4 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons ground mustard
    4 tablespoons cinnamon
    1/3 box granulated light brown sugar
    (You may need to adjust the rub accordingly to your tastes.  The rub should taste sweet first, and then you should feel a lit bit of spice afterward).

Shake thoroughly.

Cut down or eliminate the cayenne if you don’t like things spicy.  Domino quit making the granulated light brown sugar.  You can use turbinado sugar.  You can also use regular brown sugar but it clumps and may burn easier if you are cooking at a higher temp about 275°.
  • #13 by okie smokie on 30 Dec 2022

I apologize for answering for okie smokie, but I suspect that he hasn't seen your question.

Some people remove the rib side membrane.  Others leave it whole.  A third school slices it, crosshatch or straight, to allow herbs and spices to penetrate from that side, too.
    I crosshatch and find that the membrane seems to almost disappear. But also that the meat is more moist. Subjective? Anyhow it works for me. Fast Eddy removes it.  Mad Scientist likes to crosshatch.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Dec 2022
  • I find it harder to remove the membrane on STL ribs than baby backs.  I tried the cross hatch after reading about Okie doing it, and love the results.
  • #15 by 02ebz06 on 30 Dec 2022

I crosshatch and find that the membrane seems to almost disappear. But also that the meat is more moist. Subjective? Anyhow it works for me. Fast Eddy removes it.  Mad Scientist likes to crosshatch.

I had never heard of it.  Thanks for the explanation Paul/Okie.
Pages:
Actions