Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Jan 2023
  • Mine was trial and error about 30 years ago.  I would give bags to people to use or they would eat the BBQ I made and would ask me for the recipe and I didn't have one documented as I made it by taste.  It took me about 2 hours one day to document it by measuring, tasting, deciding what else needed to be added, documenting, adding something else because I put in too much of an ingredient and it didn't taste like I wanted, etc. until I got it to the taste that I desired.

I don't even know the last time I made it because I am always buying some other rub that has some other flavor profile I want to try.  Or, I throw a bunch of different purchased rubs into a container or ziplock and shake them up and mix with other ingredients until I get something that tastes good to me.

I know some people that still make it according to my recipe and that is the only thing they use.  My wife would prefer I did that too as she isn't as experimental as I am with flavors.
  • #32 by hughver on 03 Feb 2023
  • My oldest daughter and her husband are visiting this weekend and I'll be serving BB ribs again. They turned out so well last time, I'm doing a repeat performance. I seasoned, smoked, sous vide and froze several days ago. Today I'll just rewarm in sous vide, sauce and set sauce in 450° oven. Sides will be a broccoli casserole, baked beans and cold slaw.

Some people say that building that darn Casita was a curse, because we get family and friends from the cold north almost every weekend in the winter. It is over 400 sf and has a queen-sized bed, kitchen, big screen TV, A/C, RO water, full bath, closet and golf cart garage. Some actually schedule a visit a year in advance. I even have a hotel type suitcase stand in one corner. But in reality, it was the best investment that I've ever made. I enjoy all the visits and the cooking challenge.
  • #33 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Feb 2023
  • Sounds like you are getting your monies worth.
  • #34 by hughver on 04 Feb 2023
  • Sounds like you are getting your monies worth.

Absolutely!
Pages:
Actions