Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by urnmor on 03 Jan 2023
  • As many of us are seniors I thought I would share my recent bout with the flu.  I realize we all have different opens when it comes to getting shots.  I understand those and respect ones position.

Although this may not be the same for every one I thought I would my experience with the flu and so that others may understand what to expect when the flu strikes you.

BACKGROUND:

I am White Male, age 78 weigh 215 and my height is 5’ 6”.   I exercise regularly either riding and indoor cycle at the gym or other exercise equipment.  I also hit my speed bag two or three times week for 40 to 50 minutes.

I am up to date on all my shots to include the covid virus and the flu shot. As I follow my Doctor’s advice when it comes to shots. 

WHAT HAPPEN:

We celebrated Christmas at home and with our neighbors for a total of six adult and one 9 year old granddaughter.   All was well on Tuesday the 27 of Dec when I was knocked off my feet.  It started with aches and pains in my joints, diarrhea (that was constant for most of the time however as I recover it slow down to significantly) Urination (many times it came on quickly resulting in constant changes of PJs.). Now for the first three days I slept and I slept except for the times I had to the bathroom.  I am saying like 20 to 22 hours.  I did not have anything to eat or drink except one glass of water the first day.  I did begin drinking water on the second day and had a dry piece of toast on the third day as I did just not feel like eating.  On the third day I had one piece of dry English Muffin and plain homemade Turkey Broth.  On the fourth day 30 Dec. I was still very tired and really did not leave the bed except to shower and bathroom visits approximately every two hours.   I on the 30 Dec I had home made steel cut oat meal with honey for breakfast, one bowl of chicken noodle soup in mid afternoon.  I call my Doctor and spoke however was not able to speak anyone until later in the day (I knew my doctor was on vacation) I spoke to a PA.  He recommended gatorade, and place a heating blankly over may lower abdomen to calm down the bowel movements.  I did as he directed.  I drank the whole bottle of gatorade almost all at one time.  I do believe this helped as did the heating pad which I applied for 20 minutes at a time. As the days went by I began to feel better and became a little more active However I did not hesitate to stay in bed.  I did cook Plain rice for dinner on the 31st.  On I Jan we again had steel cut oats for breakfast and soup for dinner with crackers.  As I feeling much better and thought I was over the worse of it and in total recovery mode I made cream pasta with chicken and a small glass of wine and I mean a very small glass of a chardonnay.  I had no after effects from the meal however the next day 2 January my feet were very very painful and I believe out of nowhere gout may have set in.  I looked at my diet and nothing that I ate has caused gout before (I gave up shrimp and eat very little red meat).  Fortunately for me our neighbor is a PA and gave me a shot late in the day and today my feet feel better.  I will be taking steroids to calm it down.  I believe I am about 99% recovered and may hit my speed bag for thirty minutes today and go back to the gym tomorrow.
  • #2 by okie smokie on 03 Jan 2023
  • No doubt you had some type of intestinal flu. Not sure what is going around but my neighbor had almost identical sx.  She was very sick with the diarrhea and temp, and myalgia. Her recovery was slow but after about 3 weeks she is "well". 
    Glad you got some help from your neighbor. Gout is very painful. If you have never had it, I am surprised that it came upon you at that time,as it is a disease of excess retention of uric acid in your system, from over indulgence of foods high in purines. If you get some lab, and your uric acid is not elevated, I would doubt the dx. It also causes deposits of uric acid crystals in the areas involved. There is a classic old picture of an older man with a red swollen big toe joint and he has a little devil on his leg with sharp fangs buried in the joint. It reads: "Old Devil Gout has got him by the toe." And that says it all. Glad you are on the mend.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Jan 2023
  • Glad to hear you are feeling much better and sound like you will be back to normal shortly.
  • #4 by yorkdude on 04 Jan 2023
  • That does not sound fun at all. Sure glad you are on the mend.
  • #5 by urnmor on 04 Jan 2023
  • First my thanks to all for the get well wishes.  Although we hear a lot about the flu we seldom read anything of the daily impact.  I know it is different for all.  So I thought I would write a shot after action report of my experience I even sent copy to the CDC.  Not sure they got it.

A few other thoughts:

I can tell you this is the first time I have felt old as the recovery takes awhile. 

Exercise has been part of my life since ever I can remember.  Now I have found many excuses not to exercise to include sitting in front of the computer etc. 

You will lose weight or at least I did, not that I could not afford to but there are better weighs.

As to gout I believe this bout was brought on by stress as I am very conscious of food that I cannot eat.

Thank you and you all be safe out there

• #6 by 02ebz06 on 04 Jan 2023
  • Drinking lots of water is the way to get rid of gout.
    It dissolves the crystals.
    I had it one in my early years and that is what doctor prescribed.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jan 2023

I wonder if that is why I have never had the gout yet in my life.  I usually drink 10+ pints of water a day.
  • #8 by pmillen on 04 Jan 2023
  • It's good to read that you've fought your way through all of that.  It's fortunate that gout doesn't affect fingers and keep you from the camera and keyboard because I've enjoyed your posts over the years.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 04 Jan 2023

I wonder if that is why I have never had the gout yet in my life.  I usually drink 10+ pints of water a day.
    I don't think you had gout this time from what you describe and your lifestyle. There are good meds to take to prevent and treat. Doesn't mean that what you had was any milder.  Would be worth your while to find out if your uric acid is elevated. Some of the current viruses can cause severe joint pain as well. Good this is that it is over! Best to you!
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jan 2023

I don't think you had gout this time from what you describe and your lifestyle. There are good meds to take to prevent and treat. Doesn't mean that what you had was any milder.  Would be worth your while to find out if your uric acid is elevated. Some of the current viruses can cause severe joint pain as well. Good this is that it is over! Best to you!

I think you meant this for urnmor.  My lifestyle is quite different than his.
  • #11 by okie smokie on 04 Jan 2023
  • Correct. I did mean Urnmore.  Thanks.
  • #12 by urnmor on 04 Jan 2023

• I wonder if that is why I have never had the gout yet in my life.  I usually drink 10+ pints of water a day.

Do you really think think our life style is that different.

• #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Jan 2023

• I wonder if that is why I have never had the gout yet in my life.  I usually drink 10+ pints of water a day.

Do you really think think our life style is that different.

Yep.  I am severely obese, eat a ton of red meat, drink way too  many beers in one sitting too frequently, sit in a chair for work all day, and don't exercise.
  • #14 by okie smokie on 05 Jan 2023
  • Old Gout cartoon:

Most common joint for acute gout:

Chronic deposits of uric acid crystals "tophaceous gout":
Pages:
Actions