Accessories & Essentials > Thermometers, Probes, Remote Temp Monitoring Systems etc.

Pop-UP Poultry Thermometer

(1/2) > >>

Canadian John:

We had recently purchased a turkey breast. Included was a pop-up thermometer.  I don't use them as I have several reliable & accurate Thermoworks thermometers I use.

I decided to check the pop-ups accuracy using a saucepan filled with water over a small keep warm burner on our gas range. The pop-up was held @ its base with a pair of long small point tongs. The

temperature monitored with my Thermopen's tip next to the base of the pop-up. The small burner allowed me to control the rise of the water temperature..  The pop-up popped @ 182º, 17º over the

165º done temperature.

It's hard to fathom someone relying on a pop-up to perform a proper cook. If not constantly monitored, the final temperature could be high.  Then there is carry over to consider.

I realize this test was a sample of one resulting in more of an interesting result rather than several tests that would show either there was consistency or not & just how accurate these pop-ups are.

02ebz06:
Nice experiment.
They are designed that way on purpose as a CYA.
Overcook the bird to make sure nobody gets sick and sues.

BigDave83:
Yes checked one years ago the same way, and it went at 187°. I always say when the timer pops up it is time to call the pizza place because the bird is usually xxxx at that point.

urnmor:
I am also not a believer in them.  I have found that my thermopens are significantly more accurate

Bentley:
I was always led to believe they were to come out at 180°.  The Western Pacific is vast!  And I would not want to fall over at night!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View