Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by urnmor on 09 Jan 2023
  • Claire and I are going to celebrate our 54th Wedding Anniversary.  Now I have to come up with a Special Meal. However we do not want what we have made in the past.  No cedar plank salmon, prime rib, or scallops wrapped in bacon nor any of the usual cakes or pies. 

So what can I make.  I look at my Wife and said: we need to go to France and Ireland to stage for a week at two topnotch restaurants.  Claire loved the idea then open her empty pocket book. I guess to show us that going to Europe was off the table.  Then She said I can buy two knew cookbooks: The Ballymaloe Desserts: Iconic Recipes and Stories from Ireland and the Bras: The Tastes of Aubrac (Recipes and stories from the world-renowned French restaurant).  So we reached an agreement.  We are now immersing ourselves into these two books to come up with our 54th wedding Anniversary dinner.

So now we read and practice
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 10 Jan 2023
  • Congrats on 54!!
    Didn't know anybody that has been together as long as us.  We hit the 55 mark just last fall.

Why not surprise her and rent a Limo and take her out to a nice steak house.
  • #3 by hughver on 10 Jan 2023
  • The limo is a good idea. What I did on our 2nd anniversary was rent a ten-passenger limo (equipped with a bar for adult drinks), invited 8 of her best friends to join us and went to a special restaurant in the Seattle space needle. Afterward, since the limo was by the hour and we had time left, we toured the sound side of the West Seattle waterfront.
  • #4 by Bentley on 10 Jan 2023
  • I see the proper gift for the 54th Anniversary is glass.  So I am thinking Pheasant Under Glass with a fine glass of Cabernet!
  • #5 by okie smokie on 11 Jan 2023
  • Happy 54th! What a rarity in this age. We too celebrated our anniversary last month while having the Influenza, but did not get our dinner out with friends until last week.  We had escargots, and lobster pasta, but I think pheasant under glass sounds great! Would like to see how that is presented. Please let us know how it went.
  • #6 by urnmor on 11 Jan 2023
  • The limo is a great idea however other than Ruth Chris there are no real hi end restaurants near me.  As to pheasant under the glass I have never seen it on the menu where I live.  So if I wanted it i would have to source it and make it.  Right now I am leaning towards duck.  Still researching as it is a work in progress.
  • #7 by urnmor on 22 Jan 2023
  • Well I have to tell you there was no 54th wedding anniversary dinner as the flu has kept me off my feet.  Only now am I getting back to where I am able to walk with out significant in my feet.  Not only did the flu effect my feet but my blood test showed for the first time some abnormal readings.. I caution anyone in their seventies that get the flu to take it seriously as it an be a real a-- kicker.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Jan 2023
  • That is unfortunate on many levels.  Good to hear you are getting back on track.  You can still have the special meal after the date.
  • #9 by 02ebz06 on 22 Jan 2023
  • Sorry to hear that, glad you are on the recovery road.
    Happened to me when celebrating out 50th a few years back on a cruise.
    It hit me the day we got on the ship, and was sick for 6 of the 7 days.
  • #10 by jdmessner on 23 Jan 2023
  • So sorry to hear you have been sick. Hope you are on the rebound. I trust the dinner will happen at some other point in time, under better circumstances. Keep us posted. In the meantime, my prayers are with you both.
  • #11 by urnmor on 23 Jan 2023
  • I just want to say thank you to all for the get well wishes.  I am clearly beginning to feel better
  • #12 by yorkdude on 24 Jan 2023
  • Glad to hear you are on the mend.
  • #13 by Canadian John on 24 Jan 2023
  •  
      Somehow I missed this..  Congratulations!
Pages:
Actions