Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Brushpopper on 11 Jan 2023
  • I got an email from Pitt & Spitts about a new thing they have to add wood chunks into a cage next to the burn pot on their Maverick pellet grills.  It's an interesting concept but I don't think it would be practical for a long slow cook because you have to open the lid to add wood.  The link went to a YouTube video of a gentleman up in Canadian John's neck of the woods using it for a brisket cook and he opened the lid every half hour to add wood.  I'm not sure if I can post the link for it but they call it a Smoke Cage if anyone is interested.
  • #2 by Canadian John on 11 Jan 2023

•   I had a look @ the video:interesting..  The add wood every 30 to 60 minutes along with a very tight fit to deposit wood is a negative for me.  The end result would have to be spectacular to offset the added

work.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 11 Jan 2023
  • I also looked at the video, and then proceeded to fall down the darn YouTube rabbit hole.
    Below is a post from another viewer and I think his/her suggestion is valid.

"I think this is a great option for extra smoke flavor however, if you need to add wood chunks every 20-30 minutes, it defeats the convenience of a pellet smoker. I have a Pitts & Spitts offset smoker and only have to add a split every 45 minutes to an hour so in this case, the offset is more convenient 😂 If they come up with an automated chute, that would be a game changer."

• #4 by Brushpopper on 12 Jan 2023
  • I agree with y'all.  It defeats the set it and forget it ease of the pellet grill, which is why we are all here.  If I wanted to work hard at cooking a brisket I'd use my offset.  And that doesn't sound appealing to me.
Pages:
Actions