Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 25 Jan 2023
  • Anyone competing or going to this?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jan 2023
  • My former neighbor when I lived in the eastern part of Memphis 25+ years ago had competed for over 30 years.  I am pretty sure last year was going to be the last time he participated.  I participated with his team once.  I was probably at the event 2-3 other times on the party night leading up to the Saturday cook.  It was great if you knew people to let you into their booth (or houselike structure some of the corporate sponsors built).

I don't have any interest in crowds that large anymore, and by that time it is too hot there for me.

Let us know if you go.  I would be interested in your thoughts on it since its been so long since I have been at the event.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jan 2023
  • BTW, how much snow did you get recently?
  • #4 by reubenray on 25 Jan 2023
  • BTW, how much snow did you get recently?

I got about 5" of very wet snow this time.

I went to Memphis in May one time, but it stormed so bad we had to leave early.  I knew someone competing at that time.  At that time we knew each other from the Pellethead's forum.  This time we have the four day pass.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jan 2023
  • What is the four day pass?
  • #6 by reubenray on 25 Jan 2023
  • What is the four day pass?

Basically I have four one day passes(tickets).  The one day pass is $15 where the four day passes is $54.  We can go everyday or pick what ever day we want to go.
  • #7 by Bentley on 25 Jan 2023
  • Never been.  It must be a much more spectator friendly event then KCBS or IBCA?
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jan 2023
  • Never been.  It must be a much more spectator friendly event then KCBS or IBCA?

25 years ago it was a huge party on Thursday, a semi huge party on Friday, and then Saturday was the competition and everyone was down to business then.  Competitors couldn't serve food to anyone other than their team and judges on Saturday.  They couldn't sell food on any of the days to the general public.  There wasn't much to do unless you knew someone who had a team other than walk around and look at the booths/houses that teams had.  You could be there for the awards ceremony.  Maybe it changed since then, but it wasn't an event you wanted to attend unless you were there to party.
  • #9 by reubenray on 26 Jan 2023
  • I don't plan on going every day or all day.  I got the four day pass where I could pick which days I did want to go.  Who knows maybe I can talk to a few pitmasters and get invited in.
  • #10 by 1MoreFord on 27 Jan 2023
  • ..............................................maybe I can talk to a few pitmasters and get invited in.

Good luck with that unless you've got an invite from a team or teams.  Kinda like a blind dog wandering around a meat shop otherwise.
Pages:
Actions