Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2023
  • Between the 3mm plate, the Food Processor and the Mixer, I was able to get it emulsified much better then I thought.  Many ways to cook it, was gonna just sous vide it, but this is a Len Poli recipe and he call for hot smoking at 190° till an IT of 160°.  Figured I would give that a go so I did not deviate from recipe.  I always wonder how is it gonna taste, will the persons recipe be close to what I have liked all my life.  It calls for a 100mm casing.  I have a 4 x 18 which is about the same.  It is about a 6lb. recipe, so curious if that will be just one chubb.  Going in to pipe it right now and will then stick in Memphis Pro.

• #2 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2023
  • On the Memphis Pro at 190°.  I have no idea how long it will take to hit 155°.  If it is much more ten 3 hours, will finish sous vide.

• #3 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2023
  • 73° IT after 1 hour.

• #4 by BigDave83 on 28 Jan 2023
  • what cut did you use for this?
    I see the whole sirloin tips a lot of time for under $4 a pound and had thought about getting a couple and grinding some for freezer and some for bologna or sticks.
  • #5 by Bentley on 28 Jan 2023
  • I had some Skirt (which my mind said was flank), from RD.  USDA Select, they left a lot of silver skin and fat.  Would have been a great choice for ground beef, kind of a wasteful for this.  1400g (3lbs.) and 900g (2lbs0 Pork Shoulder.   Also has fermento in it.  I will be curious if it gives it a tang like a fermented salami.

I am gonna give it about 15 more minutes then put it in sous vide at 170° for rest of night.  After 3 hours at 190°, it is an IT of 120°.  I should have know I could not get it done at these temperatures tonight!  I love the color!

• #6 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2023
  • Pulled at 153°.  It went to 154°.  Tried to cool in water for about 30 minutes then it went into fridge.  I think I rushed to cooking/smoking phase.  I believe it could have taken 8-12 hours of smoke.

• #7 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2023
  • It is not the same as a store bought.  I believe this is much higher quality meat, less fat.  But it is also not that tradition bologna either.  It does not have that smooth, creamy texture.  Is that due to less fat and less emulsification? Taste, almost a neutral flavor.  I used Fermento and hoped for a bit more tang.  I wish I had left it out as I believe it made it more of a Summer Sausage texture and taste.  I have never been a fan of Summer Sausage.  Live and learn.  I will leave the Bologna making to the pros, they do it better and cheaper!  Maybe I will change my mind when I have a sandwich later today!

• #8 by pmillen on 29 Jan 2023
  • I think I rushed to cooking/smoking phase.  I believe it could have taken 8-12 hours of smoke.

Does the smoke penetrate the casing?
  • #9 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2023
  • Being fibrous it is supposed to.  I just think it needed a lot more then 5 hours.  It is not real good as a cold sandwich, fried with cheese, it is out of this world!  I also think it is going to make great SOS!
Pages:
Actions