Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 05 Feb 2023
  • Having learn a few things since October, I decided I would give a 2nd go to my favorite salami.  Think we have the fat more inline with my liking and we dialed back that dextrose to a more traditional amount.  We have a casing that will develop mold, and we have a proper curing/drying chamber. I have been dealing with "cooking" food for 40 years.  Never have I had to wait 1-2 months to see if I nailed it.  That takes some getting used to!  And I know it is traditional to press, I am just not there yet!

• #2 by Bentley on 05 Feb 2023
  • So it will sit in a 70-75° temperature range, with a RH of 90% for about 48 hours.
  • #3 by Bentley on 05 Feb 2023
  • All three are within .2oz of 52oz.  The little one on top is 7.7oz.  I was gonna do it in saran wrap, then realized that would be like the UMAi bags, and decided to see how parchment paper would do.
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 05 Feb 2023
  • Looks good.  Let us know how it is in a couple month. Haha
    Made some Genoa Salami today, that too will take months.
  • #5 by Bentley on 08 Feb 2023
  • The color changes, it starts to smell like salami, and the mold is growing fast on this round!  there is even mold starting on the small amount that was put in parchment paper as a casing!

• #6 by Bentley on 20 Feb 2023
  • Not sure why the mold is spotty.  Also hope it is not an issue.

• #7 by Bentley on 21 Feb 2023
  • 2 weeks in at about 28% loss. With the UMAi bags it was about 15% by that time.  Seems 55°-60° Drying goes a little faster then 38° Drying.
  • #8 by 02ebz06 on 23 Feb 2023
  • For the first week did they lose weight very fast ?
    My Genoa Salami lost 15% (of the 30%) in the first week.  Had me nervous since it is supposed to take 2-3 months.
    Then 2nd week only lost another % or 2.
  • #9 by Bentley on 23 Feb 2023
  • Went down 20% in 1st week!  About 8% in 2nd!
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 23 Feb 2023
  • Thanks!  I guess that is normal then, to drop a lot in first week.   I feel better now.

• #11 by Bentley on 23 Feb 2023
  • I do not think it is normal, but what are ya gonna do!
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 23 Feb 2023
  • I would think it is close to normal since the moisture on the outer parts will get wicked away quicker than what is deeper in to the center.

I have never made any so I dont know for sure, I know the loins and butts I dry cured were like that using the Umai bags the first two weeks saw a significant drop.
  • #13 by Bentley on 28 Feb 2023
  • They all started at appx 53oz.  They have all lost close to 19oz or about 35%.  Which many say is done.  I am in the 40-50% range for my taste.  These started drying on Feb 7.  These could be done in 4 weeks, which I would not have thought possible.  But I guess controlled conditions help!
Pages:
Actions