Here's How I.... > Cook Beef

Making Pastrami

(1/3) > >>

02ebz06:
Okie's post on corned beef inspired me to do something I've been wanting to do, but never got around to it.
So rather than buying a corned beef flat, I will be taking a brisket out of the freezer and make my own pastrami.

I'd been planning to take a brisket out and smoke it so we would have more cooked beef in the kitchen fridge.

Plan is to have pastrami sandwiches on Saturday the 25th (my turn to host poker).

Schedule:

Mon 2/13      Take brisket out of freezer.  Allow 4-6 days to thaw.

Make the brine for the pastrami before brisket is thawed

Once thawed, trim fat, then separate flat from point.  Rub point, and put back in fridge to be smoked that night.

2/17 - 2/19   Put flat in the brine.  Wait  5-7 days

Anytime during the week make rub for the flat.

Friday 2/24   Remove flat from brine, rinse, and put in cold water for 8 hours to remove excess salt.
              Time it so when removed from water it can be dried, rubbed, and straight into the smoker.

Will make a dry run at a new Rye Bread recipe this week.
The one I have been using tastes great but doesn't have the structure for making sandwiches. The would fall apart.
After seeing this new recipe for Jewish Deli Style Rye Bread (From KA) I will try making a change to the one I have been using.
The new recipe adds Vital Wheat Gluten, so maybe that will help my current recipe.

Will post more with pictures as I go...

Bentley:
Are you curing with #1 or just salt and spices?

02ebz06:
Using Cure #1
I can post the link to the recipe if you want.

Bentley:
I appreciate it, but I use my own!

okie smokie:
Good Jewish Rye has one thing that holds it together and  makes a great crust. About 20 minutes before is done, paint the top of the loaf with egg white wash. That gives it a shiny chewy crust. And don't forget the caraway seeds. When I was 16 I spent the summer in Omaha with grand parents and worked for my grocer uncle. I remember well delivering fresh supplies to my cousin's kosher bakery early in the am and finding him covered with flower from his baking chores. He made the best Jewish rye I have ever eaten. (white rye). Let us know how your's turns out. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View