Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 14 Feb 2023
  • Has anyone ever heard of this cut of beef?  It's on sale but I couldn't make any sense of the meat clerk's explanation.

How is it cooked?  Like any steak?
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 14 Feb 2023
  • Never heard of it, but I found this. After reading I am wondering if it is what is called chuck eye steaks around me.

http://nosetotailapp.com/meat-cuts/beef/shoulder-tender
  • #3 by reubenray on 15 Feb 2023
  • I think this is what was used to make burnt ends on an episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives I watched a few nights ago.  They said it was a Chuck Clod.
  • #4 by hughver on 15 Feb 2023
  • It might be the same as a flat iron steak. i.e. cut from the chuck.
  • #5 by pmillen on 15 Feb 2023
  • Never heard of it, but I found this. After reading I am wondering if it is what is called chuck eye steaks around me.

http://nosetotailapp.com/meat-cuts/beef/shoulder-tender

Good info.  Thanks.

I downloaded their Meat Cut Application.  It looks as though it'll be useful.
  • #6 by pmillen on 15 Feb 2023

That's a reasonable thought without seeing it.  It looks more like a piece of beef tenderloin.  I'd be tempted to smoke-roast it and serve it with Béarnaise sauce (chateaubriand).
  • #7 by Brushpopper on 15 Feb 2023
  • I gave it a Goog and it looks like it's a tender cut of meat similar to a tenderloin but cheaper.  Nothing wrong with that.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Feb 2023

That's a reasonable thought without seeing it.  It looks more like a piece of beef tenderloin.  I'd be tempted to smoke-roast it and serve it with Béarnaise sauce (chateaubriand).

Flat iron comes out of the clod and is labeled as a poor man's fillet but has become really popular for its tenderness.  I am guessing that may be what you have.  If so, I would cook it like a regular fillet.
  • #9 by glitchy on 16 Feb 2023
  • If it’s the same thing that Fareway had on sale here last week, they’re teres major steaks. We bought a couple and I grilled them the other night. I thought they were OK, but not a cut I’m going to seek out regularly. The marbling looked similar to flat irons, but the flavor and the shape of the steak were very different from flat irons I get. They’re kinda oddly tubular like a section of a tenderloin that’s been split into the 3 muscles.
  • #10 by pmillen on 16 Feb 2023
  • If it’s the same thing that Fareway had on sale here last week, they’re teres major steaks.

Yep.  I saw them at Fareway.  Would you buy one again?
  • #11 by glitchy on 17 Feb 2023
  • If it’s the same thing that Fareway had on sale here last week, they’re teres major steaks.

Yep.  I saw them at Fareway.  Would you buy one again?

I would definitely recommend trying it. I wouldn’t buy them all the time, but I would buy them again very occasionally. They’re fairly tender, but enough chew you’ll realize it by the time you get to the end of a 12oz steak…or the ones I’ve had are less tender than usual.
Pages:
Actions