Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 15 Feb 2023
  • Since I cooked Baby Backs, cant even remember the last time.  Hawkeye is going to spend a couple of weeks with a sitter and Kristin is preparing a dinner for them so I get to cook ribs.  A friend gave me some rub from the famous Rendezvous in Memphis.  It is a savory rub, seemingly devoid of sweet.  I have never had it, so I may have to shave one off the end when done to see what they are like.  Kristin wants them sauced when done, so that is how they will be finished.  275°, middle rack, Memphis Pro, Costco Pellets.

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Feb 2023
  • Shame they didn't give you the Rendezvous BBQ sauce (especially the hot version).  I am not a big fan of that rub as I thought it was kind of bland.  I am also not a big fan of the ribs there either.  They don't put the rub on when cooking over charcoal smoke.
     They apply the rub before serving.  Enjoyed them when I lived there probably because I didn't know any better.

All of my soap box rant aside.  Looking forward to the results of your cook.  Some folks are going to eat good.
  • #3 by Bentley on 15 Feb 2023
  • I remember seeing a food show that showed them putting the dry rub on afterward.  As you said charcoal cooked and almost grilled as I recall.  Not a long cooking process.  It is not a real flavorful seasoning.  I think it is just that, more seasoning then rub.  You get very little color in the rib due to lack of any sugar.  I am thinking about 45 minutes to sauce.  I guess the sauce will remedy that color then!

• #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Feb 2023
  • Here is a link to the hot bbq sauce.  I like it and usually buy a bottle when I am in Memphis or MS.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Charlie-Vergos-Memphis-Original-Hot-Barbecue-Sauce-18-oz/17283567
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 15 Feb 2023
  • I just watched a video yesterday about West TN dry rub ribs or something like that. Tuffy did the video at a place Peg leg Porkers I think was the name. He went through the process of just salting the meat side and smoked them for 3-4 hours mopping with apple juice, apple cider vinegar and water once an hour, then when done he mopped and put on a seasoning to serve them. He also used STL cut ribs because of the uniformity in size.

I went and found the video. It popped up on my YT so I watched it, boredom leads to things like watching YT videos.

https://youtu.be/TrfR7UCJhQs
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Feb 2023
  • Peg Leg Porkers is in Nashville.  It was on my list of BBQ to try, but I didn't make it to that part of town on my last trip.  Maybe next Spring.
  • #7 by Bentley on 15 Feb 2023
  • #8 by 02ebz06 on 15 Feb 2023
  • Bentley, you are shaming me into it.  I have had 4 racks in the freezer.
    Just took one out.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 16 Feb 2023
  • Great looking ribs!
    I did salt and pepper only ribs Tuesday. They looked perfect but I over salted them. Able to eat 3 for dinner, but discarded the rest. Good lesson. SP does not go on thick like a rub. I like them with just SP and then sauce as desired at the table.
    How were your Bentley?
  • #10 by Bentley on 16 Feb 2023
  • They were for friends of Kristin!
  • #11 by yorkdude on 17 Feb 2023
  • They do look really good.
    Bet they are enjoyed.
Pages:
Actions