Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 20 Feb 2023
  • Gonna start on some Spanish salamis. 1st up some Spanish Chorizo de Cebolla. Tomorrow I start on some Salchichon.

• #2 by yorkdude on 20 Feb 2023
  • Never heard of either of those.
    Do you have some kind of book for a basis as your guide?
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 20 Feb 2023
  • Never heard of either of those.
    Do you have some kind of book for a basis as your guide?

Me either.
  • #4 by Bentley on 21 Feb 2023
  • Lots of Internet and a couple of sites.  I had never heard of Salchichon till I started, I am a little surprised you guys have never had Chorizo.  Although I have never had Spanish Dried, lots of Mexican Chorizo in California, at least in Fresno & So Cal areas. 

I think the guys on the forum do not take me serious, as they do not embrace the Cheap Screw philosophy.  I also think it might not be as active as it used to. I guess it would be like someone coming on here and sharing they like to squirt lighter fluid on a perfectly good starting chamber for getting the pellet pit going!  I guess it would be OK, but why.

Meats & Sausages

Wedzarnicza Brac
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 21 Feb 2023
  • Chorizo I've had. It's the Spanish salamis, and Salchichon I've never heard of.

• #6 by Bentley on 21 Feb 2023
  • They are both fermented and dried salamis.
  • #7 by Bentley on 21 Feb 2023
  • Chorizo is in the Drying chamber, Salchichon is fermenting!  The Chorizo smells completely different after fermentation then the Italian Salamis do!

• #8 by Bentley on 22 Feb 2023
  • Will see how the mold 600 works on the Chorizo.

• #9 by elenis on 22 Feb 2023
  • This has been really neat to watch. This is something I am very interested in and my wife tells me I already have enough hobbies.
  • #10 by Bentley on 22 Feb 2023
  • This is such a double entendre but...does your wife like Salami?  If so, at todays prices, the set up pays for itself pretty fast!

• #11 by Bentley on 22 Feb 2023
  • And it only took 3 months to think of, but I think I will configure the freezer to become the Fermentation chamber for the future!
  • #12 by Bentley on 23 Feb 2023
  • Everybody is now in the drying stage!  Chorizo de Cebolla on the left, Salchichon in the foreground and the Sopprasota on the left!

• #13 by 02ebz06 on 23 Feb 2023
  • #14 by Bentley on 27 Feb 2023
  • #15 by Bentley on 01 Mar 2023
  • 40%+ loss, I am gonna shoot for 45-50% loss.  I have never had Spanish Dried Chorizo, no idea what it should taste like.  A uniquely tasting salami as I have ever had.  Cant even describe the flavor.

Pages:
Actions