Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 21 Feb 2023
  •  
     My wife makes a molasses bread, several loaves @ a time.  What we won't use in the near future is sliced & frozen.

If we deciede @ the last moment to do bacon, eggs & toast, the bread needs to be thawed & toasted. Not a major problem, simply more time.

What I ended up doing with the frozen bread was to place it on the griddle as it was warming up. I later found a coating of EVOO (won't penetrate the frozen bread) seemed the proper thing to do. As it turned

out I was right. The EVOO helped transfer heat into the bread rather quickly turning it into a lovely evenly brown piece toast, the center was still dry retaining its original moisture.  The look & taste is different

from the same bread being conventionally toasted even if coated with EVOO.  Thus, FRIED TOAST was born.

The same results can be had using a skillet.  Cast iron of course.

• #2 by pmillen on 21 Feb 2023
  • This is interesting.

I can, typically, tell when bread has been frozen.  This may be a deal changer for me.
  • #3 by hughver on 21 Feb 2023
  • Before I got married 30 years ago. I dated a lady that worked in a large bakery, she told me that they froze cakes in order to ice them and that virtually all of their cakes got frozen at one time or another before selling.
  • #4 by Bentley on 21 Feb 2023
  • It sounds delicious!
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 21 Feb 2023
  • This is interesting.

I can, typically, tell when bread has been frozen.  This may be a deal changer for me.
    The look or the taste ?
    I freeze bread all the time and don't see any difference.
  • #6 by pmillen on 21 Feb 2023
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 22 Feb 2023
  • The look or the taste ?

The texture.

Guess I never paid any attention to it.
  • #8 by pmillen on 22 Feb 2023
  • Quote from: 02ebz06 link=topic=7636.msg80702#msg80702
    Guess I never paid any attention to it.

You probably have a better freezer.  Mine are old steam-driven models.
  • #9 by Bentley on 22 Feb 2023
  • JaJaJa...
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 23 Feb 2023
  • This is interesting, I will toss bread on the griddle to toast or even burger or dog rolls to brown as I cook.

Tell me more about this molasses bread, please.
  • #11 by Canadian John on 23 Feb 2023
  • This is interesting, I will toss bread on the griddle to toast or even burger or dog rolls to brown as I cook.

Tell me more about this molasses bread, please

I posted the recipe as a new topic under BREADS in the RECIPE Section. Should be easier to find going forward.

I am curious as to your fried bread try-out.
  • #12 by pmillen on 23 Feb 2023
  • I am curious as to your fried bread try-out.

Is this the same thing as what the Southern 48 Native Americans call Fry Bread?
  • #13 by Canadian John on 23 Feb 2023
  • I am curious as to your fried bread try-out.

Could be. I just. came up with the name
  • #14 by Bentley on 23 Feb 2023
  • No.  Fry bread, to the best of my knowledge, is yeast dough, rolled out and deep fried!  Fry bread tacos!

I am curious as to your fried bread try-out.

Pages:
Actions