Recipe Section > Breads

Fried Toast

(1/3) > >>

Canadian John:

My wife makes a molasses bread, several loaves @ a time.  What we won't use in the near future is sliced & frozen.

If we deciede @ the last moment to do bacon, eggs & toast, the bread needs to be thawed & toasted. Not a major problem, simply more time.

What I ended up doing with the frozen bread was to place it on the griddle as it was warming up. I later found a coating of EVOO (won't penetrate the frozen bread) seemed the proper thing to do. As it turned

out I was right. The EVOO helped transfer heat into the bread rather quickly turning it into a lovely evenly brown piece toast, the center was still dry retaining its original moisture.  The look & taste is different

from the same bread being conventionally toasted even if coated with EVOO.  Thus, FRIED TOAST was born.

The same results can be had using a skillet.  Cast iron of course.

pmillen:
This is interesting.

I can, typically, tell when bread has been frozen.  This may be a deal changer for me.

hughver:
Before I got married 30 years ago. I dated a lady that worked in a large bakery, she told me that they froze cakes in order to ice them and that virtually all of their cakes got frozen at one time or another before selling.

Bentley:
It sounds delicious!

02ebz06:

--- Quote from: pmillen on February 21, 2023, 10:06:01 AM ---This is interesting.

I can, typically, tell when bread has been frozen.  This may be a deal changer for me.

--- End quote ---
The look or the taste ?
I freeze bread all the time and don't see any difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View