Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 25 Feb 2023
  • While thinking about our exchanges in Season the Sides of Cuts of Meat I wondered if anyone injects pork or beef roasts (i.e., rib roasts, loins) to increase the amount of seasoning on internal servings.  I'm wondering if a small amount of seasoning in beef broth injected into a rib roast would make it even better for those who prefer the more highly seasoned end cuts.

Have any of you tried it or know of a good recipe?
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 25 Feb 2023
  • I have never injected beef unless it was a curing solution. I have injected chicken and turkey pieces, and once or twice a hunk  of pork loin. Other than that I will inject my brine when curing a pork butt, but I doubt that is what you are speaking of.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Feb 2023
  • The only thing I have ever injected was a turkey.  And, I am not sure it mattered because it was after I had it in a brine.

I am beginning to think that there are a bunch of "experts" that make all of these complicated processes to get people to think that the harder it is to prepare and cook something the better it is.  It gets them more clicks on their websites which makes them more money.
  • #4 by urnmor on 26 Feb 2023
  • I no longer inject any of the meats i now cook.  I will rub with salt and let sit over night if steaks or whole chickens.  Maybe not so long for pork loin chops or boneless chicken breast.  I have always found the wet brine even by injection or bagging to be overly messy.

Again this is just my opinion another’s feel very strongly using the injection method

• #5 by BigDave83 on 26 Feb 2023
  • I no longer inject any of the meats i now cook.  I will rub with salt and let sit over night if steaks or whole chickens.  Maybe not so long for pork loin chops or boneless chicken breast.  I have always found the wet brine even by injection or bagging to be overly messy.

Again this is just my opinion another’s feel very strongly using the injection method

I am in the same camp  as you on the messy part, and extra work. 
  • #6 by hughver on 26 Feb 2023
  • I inject my pork butts, turkey and occasionally a cross rib roast. If I did a whole chicken, which I have never done on a pellet grill, I'd probably inject it.
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 26 Feb 2023
  • I bought a nice injector for some reason, but never used it.
  • #8 by Brushpopper on 26 Feb 2023

I am in the same camp  as you on the messy part, and extra work. 

Same here.  I'll do it occasionaly and then remember why I don't like to.
  • #9 by Bentley on 26 Feb 2023
  • Only experience I have is Brisket and Butt.  It was usually a combination of spices and sodium phosphate for moisture retention.  I never really saw a huge difference, but every time, half way through doing it, I hated it.  So a it was always a half xxx job!
Pages:
Actions