Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Injecting Roasts  (Read 475 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Injecting Roasts
« on: February 25, 2023, 02:29:31 PM »

While thinking about our exchanges in Season the Sides of Cuts of Meat I wondered if anyone injects pork or beef roasts (i.e., rib roasts, loins) to increase the amount of seasoning on internal servings.  I'm wondering if a small amount of seasoning in beef broth injected into a rib roast would make it even better for those who prefer the more highly seasoned end cuts.

Have any of you tried it or know of a good recipe?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Injecting Roasts
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 06:56:22 PM »

I have never injected beef unless it was a curing solution. I have injected chicken and turkey pieces, and once or twice a hunk  of pork loin. Other than that I will inject my brine when curing a pork butt, but I doubt that is what you are speaking of.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 11:06:16 PM »

The only thing I have ever injected was a turkey.  And, I am not sure it mattered because it was after I had it in a brine.

I am beginning to think that there are a bunch of "experts" that make all of these complicated processes to get people to think that the harder it is to prepare and cook something the better it is.  It gets them more clicks on their websites which makes them more money.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 11:08:35 PM by Bar-B-Lew »
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

urnmor

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 07:11:36 AM »

I no longer inject any of the meats i now cook.  I will rub with salt and let sit over night if steaks or whole chickens.  Maybe not so long for pork loin chops or boneless chicken breast.  I have always found the wet brine even by injection or bagging to be overly messy.

Again this is just my opinion another’s feel very strongly using the injection method

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 08:10:08 AM »

I no longer inject any of the meats i now cook.  I will rub with salt and let sit over night if steaks or whole chickens.  Maybe not so long for pork loin chops or boneless chicken breast.  I have always found the wet brine even by injection or bagging to be overly messy.

Again this is just my opinion another’s feel very strongly using the injection method

I am in the same camp  as you on the messy part, and extra work. 

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 10:32:14 AM »

I inject my pork butts, turkey and occasionally a cross rib roast. If I did a whole chicken, which I have never done on a pellet grill, I'd probably inject it.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 10:55:58 AM »

I bought a nice injector for some reason, but never used it.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 11:04:44 AM »

I am in the same camp  as you on the messy part, and extra work. 

Same here.  I'll do it occasionaly and then remember why I don't like to.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 01:53:42 PM »

Only experience I have is Brisket and Butt.  It was usually a combination of spices and sodium phosphate for moisture retention.  I never really saw a huge difference, but every time, half way through doing it, I hated it.  So a it was always a half xxx job!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up