Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 03 Mar 2023
  • Being a true Cajun, today I'm giving up the grill and preparing shrimp Etouffee. Two pounds of sous vide shrimp and lots of onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in a light dark Roux with Louisiana spices, served over steamed rice.  Pictures to follow.
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 03 Mar 2023
  • That sound like it is going to be very good. Can't wait to see it.

I like SV shrimp, usually put some butter and seasoning in the bag with them and 132 for 30 minutes and just eat them.
  • #3 by reubenray on 04 Mar 2023
  • Send some to my wife, being I am allergic to shellfish.  I was born and raised in North Louisiana, so I am not a true Cajun.  But I lived in South Louisiana for many years.   So these types of meals are not cooked at my home very much.  My wife was born in Milwaukee and she loves all of the Cajun type foods.  I love everything about Cajun life, but I can't eat their fantastic foods.
  • #4 by urnmor on 04 Mar 2023
  • There is an unwritten rule regarding shrimp since I am allergic to it as it causes me severe gout no posting is allowed that will temp me to make it.  And your dish sounds absolutely delicious which could cause me to lose my will power.  Please be sure to post photos
  • #5 by hughver on 04 Mar 2023
  • That sound like it is going to be very good. Can't wait to see it.

I like SV shrimp, usually put some butter and seasoning in the bag with them and 132 for 30 minutes and just eat them.

I do them @ 130° for 30-45 minutes, sprinkled with 1/2 tsp. baking soda per pound, a little salt and a light dash of Jonny's seafood seasoning. I let the shrimp and whatever I'm adding them to cool a bit to prevent over cooking. If I'm just eating them, I also add butter.
  • #6 by hughver on 04 Mar 2023
  • Not much of a picture but I was almost done with supper when I remembered that I did not take any pictures. The bowl is in my lap as I sat in front of the TV. I'm ashamed to say, but unless we have company, I almost always eat either at my office desk or in my reclining chair in front of the TV. At the top of the picture on the footstool, Tina watches me eat and if I spill anything, she comes up and cleans up. She also does a good job of cleaning the empty bowl. Not all Cajuns are as unrefined as I am.
  • #7 by Bentley on 04 Mar 2023
  • I will take that over BBQ any day!
  • #8 by pmillen on 04 Mar 2023
  • Tina watches me eat and if I spill anything, she comes up and cleans up.

I think my small dog days are over, but if a new one comes into my life I'm going to name it Hoover.

I love Cajun cuisine.
  • #9 by Canadian John on 04 Mar 2023

•  At first, your lead-in ," today I'm giving up the grill " almost had me thinking you were hanging up your BBQ hat.

That Etouffee is a winner. I haven't had it in awhile.  It is one of my favorite Southern dishes.
Pages:
Actions