Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by urnmor on 05 Mar 2023
  • As we all know they're multi versions of Tiramisu desserts.  In fact I think it is on every Italian restaurant dessert menu and many other restaurants dessert menus as it is easy to make.  Some are good and some are not so good.  I found this recipe in the Ballymaloe Dessert Cookbook which I bought back in December.  I have mad a number of desserts for it an most I have enjoyed and others are am still learning to make.

Like most Tiramisu it is relative easy to make, however, it is not like any I have ever had in a restaurant. It clearly lives up to its name which means "pick-me-up as it has both liquor and caffeine to fire you up.

the recipe calls for:
    1 1/2 cups of espresso or others strong coffee.  I used espresso
    3 tablespoons of dark rum
    3 tablespoons of brandy  (I used Grand Mariner)
    3 oz semisweet chocolate
    3 extra large eggs separated  (you can use the equivalent of large eggs)
    1/4 cup of extra fine sugar (regular sugar would work)
    9 oz of mascarpone cheese (I used 8 because the container only came with 8)
    40 lady fingers
    2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder for decoration ( I found my grindings from by chocolate was more then sufficient)

Place the coffee in a bowl and add the brandy and the rum.  Allow it to cool
    Roughly chop the chocolate or use a food processor on the pulse function
    Whisk the eggs yolks with sugar until it is light and fluffy and holds a ribbon on the surface about 5 minutes.
    Mix in the mascarpone 1 tablespoon at a time until smooth and creamy.  whip egg whites in a clean bowl to a stiff peak and gently fold in the egg mixture.

Assemble the dish.  Dip the each lady finger in the coffee mixture about 2 to 3 second no longer as the will break apart.  Place one layer on the bottom of the bowl add a layer of the mascarpone mixture then a layer of the chocolate and repeat two or three more times top with the chocolate.  place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours over or overnight.

• #2 by BigDave83 on 05 Mar 2023
  • I don't think I have ever had it. I am not a coffee fan, like many love the smell of it brewing but not a fan of the taste of it.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 05 Mar 2023
  • I don't think I have ever had it. I am not a coffee fan, like many love the smell of it brewing but not a fan of the taste of it.
    I'm partially with you. Don't like coffee or the smell of it brewing. But I do like the smell of the coffee beans in the grocery aisle.

• #4 by BigDave83 on 05 Mar 2023
    I'm partially with you. Don't like coffee or the smell of it brewing. But I do like the smell of the coffee beans in the grocery aisle.

Yes forgot about that, growing up, 8 O'Clock coffee in the red bag had the grinder in the aisle with the bags. That was what was used at home,and I remember them grinding it and the smell.
  • #5 by hughver on 05 Mar 2023
  • The recipe sounds good, but a little ambitious for me. The local Kroger store has very good Tiramisu at a reasonable price, I think that I'll stick with that for now. Thanks for posting, I'll bookmark it for later.
Pages:
Actions